Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The question is: When?

1. Sep 7, 2003 #1
    When do you think type one civilization will be reached?

I think we'll reach type one civilization will be reached in 50 years top and I think that whenever we will reach this we can reach type two civilization very quickly, maybe in about 10/20 years after we've reached type one civilization. But I have no idea when we could reach type three civilization, because it seems a lot harder being able to have control over our universe.

What are your opinions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2003 #2

Uh... can you explain to me this type X civilisation business?
  4. Sep 9, 2003 #3
    astro...perhaps you are right .I would say with "luck" we might make those dates.
    However I can see how other worlds,that might have existed & might have made it to type 2
    blowing themselvs to oblivion before achieving that status.
    we would have to know, how many other worlds with life forms there are....and how many if any, made it to type 3.. to know what our chance's are. not knowing lessens our chance.we push ahead blindly,in darkness...
  5. Sep 9, 2003 #4

Type 1 = Making full use of our planetary resources. Being able to harness the planet's full potential (that means controling the weather, and anything else - Earthly - that you can think of).

Type 2 = Making full use of the solar system's resources. Being able to use the Sun's energy at will... that kind of thing.

Type 3 = Making full use of the galaxy's resources. This'd probably include being able to use the energy contained at the center of the galaxy (isn't there a BH there?), using the resources of many solar systems, etc...

Again, that's just a broad explanation, and it comes from what I can remember from the book, Visions, by Michio Kaku. You should check out the book (as I'm going to soon, it's been too long since I read it the first time) some time, it's really good.
  6. Sep 10, 2003 #5

Why would they have blown themselves up? I think beings who have even reached type 1 civilization are much to clever to blow themselves up.:smile:
  7. Sep 10, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I find it hard to see a path to "blowing ourselves up" or to nuclear winter in the next 30-40 years. That would require a spasm of hundreds of hydrogen bombs, which is unlikely given the (reluctant and slow) defusing of the major nuclear arsenals.

One or more nuclear exchanges? Yes, maybe. Under a million dead. Horrible but not a catastrphe for the species.
  8. Sep 10, 2003 #7
    astro .. good point! however one must not forget that, there are infinit ways and means of blowing ones self up.
    also there are the natural things that can get ya.. that are infinit.
    if we make it to type 3...it will be just dumb blind luck.
    unless of course god exists and saves us from ourselvs\other unknown's
  9. Sep 10, 2003 #8

I dont see it either in the near future (hydrogen) war ect
    it;s the other unknowns, sars, some super aids virus, ect..
    perhaps modern man simply has not been around long enough, to destroy its self......yet

....hmmmm lets see humans (modern) ..only app 25000 yr
    universe age app 14 billion... er where are the other type 1.2.3 .... astro?
  10. Sep 11, 2003 #9

I think they are out there, but they are so much more intelligent that they consider us as "barbaric uniteresting animals" and they feel that they shouldn't waste theire time with us humans who only think of destruction and power.
    I mean would you find humans interesting if you were a type 3 civilization being?
  11. Sep 14, 2003 #10

12. Sep 14, 2003 #11

What would make humans so interesting to you?
  13. Sep 14, 2003 #12
    For the same reason we have Entomologists.
  14. Sep 16, 2003 #13

IMO The agent in The Matrix was right about humans: we act like a viruses, only consume everything we got in hands but I don't think we will ever live long enough to control our planet... or any other. or stars... nope. I think there's gonna be somekind of a backtep.. "Lets mail some Anthrax to US or something" .... well, I'm in Europe so that would not affect directly to me but anyways. Somebody somewhere will definetly destroy the ideal vision of future, there will always be people like G.W. Bush and S. Hussein or O. Bin Laden.

Just when we can buy fusion-batteries from local store, I might believe we can reach Type 1. and still it would take several decades from there.

p.s. I'm a pessimist, did u see? ;)
  15. Sep 16, 2003 #14
    To reach type one hmmm.... unlikely to be soon. To have full control over our planetary resources will most likely require all the countries to work together or one or more countries to work together to dominate the world.
    Although if we ever reach type one our population will defiantly be lower due to the wars before reaching type one also assuming that the wars don't destroy the technology, scientists, and engineers required to reach type one. And i do believe that type two can be reached shortly after type one.
  16. Sep 16, 2003 #15
    I think that by at least 2100-30 we'll have reached Type I. We're really not quite as far off as people seem to think. As I posted on the actual topic for the civ. ratings, however, I slightly disagree with the system of measurement. At our current rate, however, I don't see why we wouldn't be there in a hundred years.
  17. Sep 16, 2003 #16
    astro...havent you heard ? earth women are the most beautiful in the universe!

18. Sep 22, 2003 #17
    I know that, but I don't think aliens from a type 1, 2 or 3 civilization would come and watch earth women :smile:
  19. Sep 28, 2003 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ummm, ever hear of the National Geographic. And why it was fascinating to high tech teenage boys?
  20. Sep 28, 2003 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Returning for a moment to an earlier comment, Merak:
    and Astrophysics:
    Whether any of the type 1, 2, or 3's are interested in us or not, harnessing a planet's, solar system's, or galaxy's resources will surely leave lots of signs (OK, maybe type 3's are fastidious and advanced enough to leave no trace, but early type 1's - extrapolating from us homo sapiens - will leave plenty).

Where are they?

Taking Merak's numbers one step further. Average time for a type 1 (or 2) to move from one star to another: 5,000 years. This gives a (roughly spherical) wave advancing at ~ 1 light-year per 1,000 years. Time taken to colonise the entire Milky Way? Certainly less than 100 million years, not even one galactic rotation.

So where are they?
  21. Sep 28, 2003 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5,000 years per star...
    100,000,000 years to use the whole Milky Way...
    = 20,000 stars in the Milky Way.

The figures don't add up. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?