Can You Turn a CUBE on a LATHE?

• Thread starter OCR
  • Start date
In summary: It's largely a matter for definition, imo. If you put a morse 3 taper lathe chuck into the spindle of my toy vertical milling machine (and lay it on its side?), you've got yourself a lathe, afair.
OCR
  • Haha
Likes sophiecentaur, phinds and jedishrfu
Engineering news on Phys.org
OCR said:
Yes.
But it will require mounting six times, once for each face.

1. You can hold the cube in a 4 jaw chuck, then face the end with a tool in the cross slide. Since the centre is not important, depending on what shape you start with, you might hold the work in a 3 jaw chuck.

2. You could clamp the cube to the cross slide, then face it with a cutter held in the chuck. But that would be more difficult to set up for accurate angled corners.

The example shown in the video shows multiple passes of a fly cutter. That suggests it was clamped to the cross slide, but more probably faced in a small milling machine.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Baluncore said:
Yes.
But...
Not sure if Baluncore is deadpan riffing on joke, or
1648948821798.png

What I saw was: A lathe. With a cube on it. Being turned.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu, phinds and DaveE
DaveC426913 said:
What I saw was: A lathe. With a cube on it. Being turned.
Repeatably, again and again.
The example cube that turned up on the lathe was not turned up in the lathe.

How could I miss the opportunity to deliver deadpan, a couple of other obtuse ways it could be done, but in, not on the lathe. Can a lathe have obtuse ways, or is it only me ?

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Baluncore said:
How could I miss the opportunity to deliver deadpan,
Thought so.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Yes, it is possible. See "machining a cube on a lathe" by machiningmomentsbrad on youtube.

wirenut said:
Yes, it is possible. See "machining a cube on a lathe" by machiningmomentsbrad on youtube.
Yes, we know.

It’s not as convenient to produce a ball on a vertical milling machine.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and DaveC426913
sophiecentaur said:
It’s not as convenient to produce a ball on a vertical milling machine.
But it is very easy to turn a ball on the bed of a vertical milling machine.

wirenut said:
A ball or a cube can be produced pretty much anywhere a magician turns up to remove the cover.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Machining a ball on a milling machine is functionally identical to machining a cube on a milling machine, except the number of remountings required is somewhat larger.

Here's a video on making a jig that can move the cutting tool in a circular manner.

DaveC426913 said:
Machining a ball on a milling machine is functionally identical to machining a cube on a milling machine, except the number of remountings required is somewhat larger.
A tow ball can be made in one setting.
At most, only one remount is needed for a full sphere.

Mount the workpiece in an indexed head, with axis at a slope to the bed, or head tilted.

A single point cutter, offset by slightly less than the ball radius is mounted in the spindle to cut a circle on the ball surface.

While spindle turns cutter, slowly rotate the index head until you have a sphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes DaveC426913
Pictures help explain the geometry of generating a sphere in a milling machine.
https://www.ctemag.com/news/articles/generating-spherical-surfaces
In actual practice, you can’t cut a full sphere in one setup. You still have to hold the part and rotate it somehow. To produce a full sphere, you must use two separate holding setups.

Some interesting (and typically PF) responses here. :wink: I hope you all enjoyed that bit of nonsense.

It's largely a matter for definition, imo. If you put a morse 3 taper lathe chuck into the spindle of my toy vertical milling machine (and lay it on its side?), you've got yourself a lathe, afair. It could be argued that the workpiece rotates in a lathe and the cutters rotate in a mill - hence my use of the word "convenient".

1. Can a cube be turned on a lathe?

Yes, a cube can be turned on a lathe. However, it may require some additional steps and techniques compared to turning a cylindrical object.

2. What is the process for turning a cube on a lathe?

The process for turning a cube on a lathe involves securing the cube to the lathe using a chuck or other holding device, and then using various tools to remove material and shape the cube into a desired form.

3. Are there any special tools or techniques required for turning a cube on a lathe?

Yes, there are some specialized tools and techniques that may be required for turning a cube on a lathe. This may include using a four-jaw chuck, a faceplate, or specialized cutting tools for creating sharp corners and edges.

4. What types of materials can be used for turning a cube on a lathe?

A variety of materials can be used for turning a cube on a lathe, including wood, metal, and plastic. However, some materials may be more difficult to work with and may require different techniques and tools.

5. Is turning a cube on a lathe a difficult process?

Turning a cube on a lathe can be a challenging process, especially for beginners. It requires a good understanding of the lathe and its tools, as well as proper techniques for securing and shaping the cube. With practice and patience, it can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience.