The Rabi Problem: Solving with the Semiclassical Approach

• I
  • Thread starter Vineesha
  • Start date
In summary, the Rabi problem refers to a two-level quantum system with a time-dependent Hamiltonian. It can be solved using the semiclassical approach which involves writing the state of the system as a vector with two time-dependent components and using the time-dependent Schrödinger equation to find the evolution of the system. A good reference for this topic is Chapter 9 of Bransden & Joachain's "Quantum Mechanics 2nd ed."
Vineesha
What is the Rabi problem? How to solve it using the semiclassical approach? I am looking for content which is easy to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
It usually means a problem of a two-level system where the state vectors have only two complex number components, and the Hamiltonian is a ##2\times 2## matrix that has a periodic time dependence, as in

##H = \begin{bmatrix}a & b\sin \omega t \\ b\sin \omega t & c\end{bmatrix}## .

Then you use time dependent perturbation theory or some other method to find the evolution of some initial state vector. The most appropriate way may depend on how large the frequency ##\omega## is.

EDIT: A practical application of this could be a system where an atom in ground state is subjected to an electromagnetic wave with low amplitude and frequency ##\omega## that is chosen in such a way that it's unlikely that the atom will be excited to any other but a single excited state. Then you can think of it as an effective two-level system even though any atom has an infinite number of energy eigenstates in principle.

Likes Vineesha
hilbert2 said:
It usually means a problem of a two-level system where the state vectors have only two complex number components, and the Hamiltonian is a ##2\times 2## matrix that has a periodic time dependence, as in

##H = \begin{bmatrix}a & b\sin \omega t \\ b\sin \omega t & c\end{bmatrix}## .

Then you use time dependent perturbation theory or some other method to find the evolution of some initial state vector. The most appropriate way may depend on how large the frequency ##\omega## is.

EDIT: A practical application of this could be a system where an atom in ground state is subjected to an electromagnetic wave with low amplitude and frequency ##\omega## that is chosen in such a way that it's unlikely that the atom will be excited to any other but a single excited state. Then you can think of it as an effective two-level system even though any atom has an infinite number of energy eigenstates in principle.
Thank you very much. However, I wish to work out the exact mathematics of the problem. Can you suggest a good, easy book for this?

The Bransden & Joachain's "Quantum Mechanics 2nd ed." I have myself seems to contain this in Chapter 9.

The idea is to write the state of the system as a vector with two time-dependent components,

##\left|\right.\psi (t) \left.\right> = \begin{bmatrix}a(t) \\ b(t)\end{bmatrix}##

and then make the time dependent Schrödinger equation

##i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\begin{bmatrix}a(t) \\ b(t)\end{bmatrix} = H\begin{bmatrix}a(t) \\ b(t)\end{bmatrix}##,

where ##H## is a matrix like that in my previous post. Now you have two coupled differential equations for the functions ##a(t),b(t)## and they can be solved with some kind of approximations.

Likes Vineesha and vanhees71
hilbert2 said:
The Bransden & Joachain's "Quantum Mechanics 2nd ed." I have myself seems to contain this in Chapter 9.

The idea is to write the state of the system as a vector with two time-dependent components,

##\left|\right.\psi (t) \left.\right> = \begin{bmatrix}a(t) \\ b(t)\end{bmatrix}##

and then make the time dependent Schrödinger equation

##i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\begin{bmatrix}a(t) \\ b(t)\end{bmatrix} = H\begin{bmatrix}a(t) \\ b(t)\end{bmatrix}##,

where ##H## is a matrix like that in my previous post. Now you have two coupled differential equations for the functions ##a(t),b(t)## and they can be solved with some kind of approximations.
Thanks a lot!

1. What is the Rabi problem?

The Rabi problem is a fundamental problem in quantum mechanics that involves the interaction between a two-level quantum system and a classical electromagnetic field. It is named after physicist Isidor Rabi who first studied this problem in the 1930s.

2. What is the semiclassical approach?

The semiclassical approach is a mathematical technique used to solve the Rabi problem and other similar problems in quantum mechanics. It combines classical and quantum mechanics by treating the quantum system as a wave and the classical field as a perturbation on that wave. This approach allows for the calculation of the system's energy levels and transition probabilities.

3. How is the Rabi problem solved with the semiclassical approach?

The Rabi problem is solved with the semiclassical approach by first writing down the equations of motion for the quantum system and the classical field. Then, a perturbation theory is applied to solve for the energy levels and transition probabilities of the system. This approach is often more tractable than other methods, making it a popular choice for solving the Rabi problem.

4. What are the applications of the Rabi problem?

The Rabi problem has numerous applications in physics, particularly in the field of quantum optics. It is used to understand the behavior of atoms and molecules in the presence of electromagnetic fields, which has implications for technologies such as lasers and quantum computing. It also has applications in quantum information theory and quantum cryptography.

5. What are the limitations of the semiclassical approach?

While the semiclassical approach is useful for solving the Rabi problem, it does have its limitations. It is most accurate for weakly interacting systems and can break down for strongly interacting systems. Additionally, it does not account for certain quantum effects, such as tunneling and entanglement, which may be important in some applications.