Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News The race war in LA

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1

nsaspook

Science Advisor

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0126-compton-20130126,0,977110.story

Is this the future of race relations in America. Has the melting pot been shattered.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    The Latino (largely Mexican?) American demographic is changing and population steadily increasing. If that increase includes a high proportion of gang connected individuals, then it's likely that more situations like that in Compton will occur.

I don't think the melting pot has been shattered yet. Hopefully, peaceful ethnically diverse areas will continue to be the norm for at least the foreseeable future. Whether that's a reasonable hope depends on a lot of factors.

I guess that race relations will continue to be what they've pretty much always been, tense and tenuous.

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4
    Urban gang wars and ethnic rivalry have historically gone hand-in-hand with the "melting pot"in the US; for example the Irish-Italian rivalry in New York City in the mid nineteenth century.

http://history1800s.about.com/od/urbanconditions/p/fivepointsnyc.htm

6. Jan 26, 2013 #5
    Good point. I edited my post while you were posting yours.

7. Jan 26, 2013 #6

Evo

I grew up in houston, TX and every night on tv back in the 60's, usually the only violence and murders were between blacks and Mexicans, it goes way back. It's nothing new.

8. Jan 26, 2013 #7
    I heard Houston is pretty rough. I wonder if any Texas towns are experiencing what Compton is.

9. Jan 26, 2013 #8

Evo

It's no different from any large city, you stay out of the bad neighborhoods.

10. Jan 26, 2013 #9
    I don't think I'd call this a "race war," when it's more of a "bigoted gang" issue. If you're going to start calling it a "race war," you'll need to show some evidence that a large portion of a race is involved, and not just a comparatively small violent gang.

11. Jan 26, 2013 #10

nsaspook

Science Advisor

I also grew up in Texas in the 1960's (family in Houston, Waco and Dallas) , there were 'gang' shooting but I can't remember a case then where 'civilians' where targeted other than by white racists as the typical "No Dogs, Negros, or Mexicans" storefront signs let you know where not to stay.

The gang war in LA seems to have escalated beyond simple rivalry into true hate-crime Ethnic Cleansing where innocent people are attacked simply because of race.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/19/local/la-me-azusa-hate-20110619

12. Jan 26, 2013 #11

Evo

Never saw that in Houston. The only violent racial tension back then I was aware of was between blacks and mexicans.

Sure, back before the civil rights movement, I remember "whites only" water fountains at the Woolworth store downtown.

But I was raised to respect all people as equal. Except ignorant, violent people, of course. But race, skin color, religion, no difference. Also, I was taught that I should show respect for people that were unjustly discriminated against.

13. Jan 26, 2013 #12

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Call it anything you want but people that have nothing to do with gangs are being forcefully removed from living in areas of LA. I'm guessing the KKK could have be classified as a "bigoted gang" issue in the civil-rights era south.

14. Jan 27, 2013 #13
    Yes, and I certainly wouldn't have called it a race war, even though that situation was probably closer to a race war than currently in LA.

15. Jan 28, 2013 #14
    Race relations since the 50s up until now have largely consisted of nonwhite populations demanding things and the white population largely saying "ok", this has resulted in relative peace.

Since the white population is no longer the majority in many areas these groups have focused their efforts on each other since the previous dominate group no longer exists.

I also think at least part of these problems stem from the "diversity is strength" mantra. You cannot put two groups who dislike each other into the same area and believe the outcome will be good for both groups.

It will be interesting to watch.

16. Jan 31, 2013 #15
    That sucks. I personally know a black guy who has a home in Compton (he's currently away from home right now). He always strikes me as a decent guy, but it seems everyone who has socialized with him almost unanimously agree that he is kind of weird - not very sociable, doesn't smile very often except when he talks to himself (which is kind of freaky). I wonder if it has to do with the where he lived.

I personally went to a high school in LA that was like 87% Hispanic, and it was not cool being a minority (Asian) there. I would hear racial innuendos all the time. One time I saw this kid take pieces of his bread and toss it at unsuspecting Asians. I know cause I got hit and I stared at him for the longest time and he didn't even notice. There was this other time I ended up being in the middle of a "shove circle" where I'm in the center, being shoved at from all sides. Cause it was the end of lunch, and I was leaving for class, but it was crowded, so I just happened to stop and notice an attractive, scantily clad female, but apparently this guy - who might have been her boyfriend, or trying to be - got angry and pushed me, and then bumped into someone behind me, who stopped my motion, so I tried to play it off and was like "woops" but the guy behind me then pushed me, and before I knew it, I was surrounded. I was shoved all around for sometime, until I eventually got tired and fell down. There were many concerned onlookers, but only a few actually spoke up. No one came to help me out or stand up for me. It didn't seem like any teachers were present.. maybe they fled, I don't know lol. I became really pissed off from then on, and went into state of depression, but eventually transferred to a school in a wealthier community that was more diverse. Didn't have any serious racial problems there, though people still mostly hung around others of like ethnicity. This was like in 2006.

But I'm not trying to spin Latinos in a negative light. I've known a lot of good people who are Latinos. It's the gang culture that forces a certain outlook on people. It's like showing someone a new belief system. In middle school, I knew a Peruvian guy who was good at math, spoke with a normal accent, and didn't seem like gangster material at all. But later in life, I get a call from him and he sounded a lot like a gangbanger. I eventually find out that for a time he got involved with gangs. He tried to spread his way of thinking on me, like preaching propaganda, but of course it didn't work. It's amazing how different a person can be changed.

17. Feb 1, 2013 #16
    Scary. Sorry it happened to you cryora. You're not the only one.
    I know I am not comfortable any more in any crowd of any one ethnic group, even if I am one of them. The USA! USA! USA! chant will scare me when I hear it.
    These days, I just avoid any large gatherings of any kind. I only see them as a potential mob.
    Similar situation happened, I think they call it a 'swarm' these days, at a subway station.
    Suddenly surrounded! Reminded me of wolves or jackals on a kill.

I don't think it's a race war thing. A group thing was my first thought.
    ( ok ... in reality ... 'damn you f'ing a-holes' ) was my first thought...

Race war, possible
    Group dynamic, possible

unacceptable , definite.

so what can be done?

18. Feb 1, 2013 #17

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure wish i knew.

Watch your nature shows. Most large brained mammals are 'pack' or 'herd' oriented; territorial and xenophobic.
    Primates, cats, canines, dolphins, elephants, horses ,,,, the females congregate and raise the young while the males carouse.

H G Wells said it in 'Dr Moreau' : "The beast keeps coming out".

To become different from what we are requires some awareness of what we are.
    Last page of "Isle of dr Moreau" ; http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?pageno=90&fk_files=2591630
    Sorry i dont know an answer to your question.
    But it sounds like Wells might have enjoyed PF.

old jim

19. Feb 1, 2013 #18

Drakkith

The only solution I can even think of is simply for parents to raise their children in a manner that promotes acceptance of people regardless of race, status, or other similar things. But this requires parents who are already accepting of different people and it requires that they actually know how to instill such behavior in their children. So in all honesty I don't really see a solution.

20. Feb 1, 2013 #19
    How can parents effectively "raise" (I don't think those parents raise children, because the defining factor of 'raising' of the idea I am using is passing down values that will help the kid, not values that will be to its detriment) children if they weren't raised properly? If this has been occurring since the 60s like people have mentioned, then the 1 or 2 that are smart enough to see that such a life isn't worth it does not outweigh the 10-12 that see it as, "all I know."

I was watching this prison show and one of the inmates that had a son was being asked a question by the interviewer saying, "Wouldn't you be happy if your son became a surgeon?" and the inmate replied, "No. I would be happy if he was in a gang or followed along in my footsteps."(It's been a while since I saw it but I remember the context)

I was astounded of course by the reply because I never heard anything like it before. But to my original point, if parents expect their children to be, "of the criminal life," or have no real expectations for their children more-so because of ignorance, the cycle will continue to go around and around. So, while that is a seemingly good solution, I don't see it as feasible given the types of people being discussed in the thread. If (1) they aren't smart enough to want a better life for their kid, and (2) they have little expectations or knowledge of the world around them outside of their town, how can we just say, "better parenting will solve the problem."?

Such individuals do not know how to parent in the first place and from what I know, the schools aren't even average, rather below average in quality. The amount of distractions from students that don't really want to learn is great, thus fosters an atmosphere where it is hard to learn because more than likely not many good or effective teachers will want to teach at such a school or are afraid of their own livelihood.
    Of course, the smarter students who evade bullies or being killed tend to move on to better heights, however, that will be the few, not the majority. The majority will just repeat the cycle of their parents more often.

I don't see how you can teach a parent how to be a better parent if the parent itself is young and comes from a background of little education. I don't see that as a solution to this problem.

The cycle of ignorance continues.

I do see a solution and it is based off of my own original solution (mightn ot be totally original but I thought of it whilst replying).

http://nation.foxnews.com/welfare-b...elfare-benefits-children-s-school-performance

Since most in such areas tend to rely on government assistance it would be good to reduce the welfare if the students aren't doing well. But not only that, remove/expel (for good) students that are disruptive and only allow students that wish to learn and aren't disruptive in the school. We have tried most things and generally people think the ideas mentioned by the senator or the idea I have are rather wrong but I don't see such people offering anything that hasn't already been done. Can apply one or the other, or possibly both. But of course kids who are not allowed to go back to school because of constant disruptions should be sent to vocational schools where they can learn a certain trade.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  21. Feb 7, 2013 #20
    I think you hit the solution.
    That sounds good to me.

I am one of those parents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook