Why is the radius of a twirling rope represented by Lcostheta instead of r?

• Thread starter indelible.eggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius Rope
In summary, The radius in this problem is not represented by r because the rope is not horizontal, but at an angle. Therefore, the horizontal component of the rope's length represents the radius.
indelible.eggs
I'm having difficulty understanding why the radius is not represented by r, but Lcostheta , isn't the entire rope in the horizontal direction? There is something I'm missing. Thanks. (Hopefully I posted this correctly.)

Homework Statement

The problem is example 1 on http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py105.html
You have to click on Circular Motion on the left-hand side of the site.

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

It has already been solved on the web site.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The example indicates quite plainly that the rope is not horizontal, but at an angle. Do you not understand why this is so?

Perhaps I'm having difficulty understanding what is being described. The rope is at an angle twirling some object in a horizontal circle. I understand why the tension would need to be broken down into its components. But it seems that the radius of the horizontal circle is purely horizontal (even if the rope is not) thus the radius would be r. I suspect I'm asking a very simple question, but I'm just not getting it. Thanks

I think I understand now: We have the length of the rope so the radius of the rope can be described as the horizontal component of the length of the rope. Thanks for your help, it was hard for me to see.

Yes, your current understanding is correct. r is indeed the "horizontal component" of the rope.

1. What is the radius of a twirling rope?

The radius of a twirling rope is the distance from the center of the rope to the outer edge. It is typically measured in inches or centimeters and can vary depending on the length and thickness of the rope.

2. How is the radius of a twirling rope calculated?

The radius of a twirling rope can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the rope by 2π (pi). This can be done using a measuring tape or ruler to measure the circumference and a calculator to divide by 2π.

3. Does the radius of a twirling rope affect its speed?

Yes, the radius of a twirling rope does affect its speed. The larger the radius, the faster the rope will travel. This is due to the fact that a larger radius covers more distance with each rotation, resulting in a higher speed.

4. What factors can impact the radius of a twirling rope?

The radius of a twirling rope can be impacted by several factors, including the material and thickness of the rope, the length of the rope, and the force applied to the rope while twirling.

5. Why is the radius of a twirling rope important to consider in scientific experiments?

The radius of a twirling rope is important to consider in scientific experiments because it affects the overall motion and speed of the rope. Understanding the radius can help scientists accurately measure and analyze the results of their experiments.