1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Random Walk

1. Aug 31, 2013 #1
    There is a chapter in Feynman Lectures on Physics called The Random Walk(41-4). I understand everything till the paragraph right after equation 41.18. I have no idea what he is trying to say. There is an equation 41.19, which is diff. eq. for object that is forced and is in a enviroment that causes resistance... that is not eq. of particle in a gas. Than he is saying that average of [itex]\left\langle x v_x \right\rangle[/itex] does not change because it doesn't remember where it was before.. I don't understand that formulation. I am also not sure why [itex]\left\langle x F_x \right\rangle = 0[/itex].

Could someone help me please ?
    Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The Feynman lectures were not very effective when Feynman was giving them - they tend to the over-clever - I don't think they are that great now. You are best advised to read them alongside or after a more contemporary text... they tend to work best as a refresher course for people who have already done the basic physics by another method.

However, your questions can be approached by considering the converse. i.e. what does it mean for <xF> not zero, and <xv> not constant? What do xv and xF measure?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook