1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The range of a ball

1. Jan 19, 2004 #1
    a tennis ball is thrown from the ground. 3 secs later, Vx = 15 m/s (horizontal). Determine the range.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2004 #2
    Answer is 90.0m.. I just dont know how to get to it??
  4. Jan 19, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the horizontal velocity is 15 m/s and the ball spends 3 seconds in the air, then the total distance it travels is 45 meters.

If it takes 3 seconds to reach the peak of it's flight, then it goes 90m.
  5. Jan 19, 2004 #4
    Thank so much..
    I just made a fool of myself when I think about it again :p

6. Jan 19, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You asked about the angle of impact. It's easier to figure out the peak altitude by using:

And realizing that the ball hits the top halfway through the fight.

If you want to find the angle of impact, the easiest option is that it's the same as the angle of launch. Alternatively, you can use the inverse tangent and the x and y velocities at impact.
  7. Jan 26, 2004 #6
    You must have written the problem incorrectly. As it was written, it didn't have enough information.

"Vx = 15 m/s (horizontal)" was misleading. Vx is always horizontal, if we assume the x-axis is horizontal, and it's always 15 m/s if we are allowed to ignore air resistance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?