The Re-Inventors: Ignoring Physics & Causing More Harm Than Good?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary: I even like the Mythbusters. But I think they've gone overboard with Ghost Lab. It's not a show I would want to watch.
Borek
Mentor
I have just seen part of one episode on Discovery. What a morons... They do what each crackpot does - they ignore the physics, as if they have never heard about it.

I have seen WWI helmet gun - they silently ignored the fact that recoil will break the neck (to some extent they were aware of the problem, as they put a plank behind dummy just to make it stiffer). Then tehy were trying pedal powered helicopter - and they elected to not mention fact that such approach can't work, as it will rotate around its own axis. If you ask me - they do more harm than good to general public.

Mythbusters are not always correct, but at least they don't ignore in the most blatant manner basic conservation laws.

Discovery Channel has just lost a lot in my eyes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen episodes of this show, but I lost respect long ago from shows like A Haunting. Now they feature stuff like Ghost Lab.

What show is this? I googled it and the first page was a page of torrents to download episodes!

Based on the description on Wiki and having never seen it, I think a show that did this and then took the time to explain why the invention does or doesn't work would be a nice visual aid for demonstrating different engineering/scientific principles. Whether or not the show actually does this though I can not say.

Pattonias said:
Based on the description on Wiki and having never seen it, I think a show that did this and then took the time to explain why the invention does or doesn't work would be a nice visual aid for demonstrating different engineering/scientific principles.

Agreed. I have nothing against the general idea of the show.

1. What is the premise of "The Re-Inventors"?

"The Re-Inventors" is a television show that follows a group of people as they attempt to recreate famous inventions using only the tools and materials available at the time of the invention. However, they often ignore the laws of physics and end up causing more harm than good.

2. Is "The Re-Inventors" based on real events?

While the show features real inventions and historical events, the actions of the participants are often exaggerated for entertainment purposes. Some of the inventions may have actually been attempted in the past, but there is no evidence that the individuals featured on the show were involved.

3. What is the purpose of ignoring physics in "The Re-Inventors"?

The purpose is to create a sense of chaos and unpredictability in the show. By ignoring the laws of physics, the participants are often met with unexpected and sometimes disastrous results, which adds an element of humor and excitement to the program.

4. Are there any benefits to ignoring physics in "The Re-Inventors"?

While it may make for entertaining television, there are no real benefits to ignoring physics. In fact, it can be dangerous and harmful to both the participants and those around them. It also sends a message that scientific principles can be ignored, which can be misleading and harmful.

5. Is "The Re-Inventors" a good representation of scientific experimentation?

No, "The Re-Inventors" is not a good representation of scientific experimentation. The show often portrays reckless and illogical behavior, which goes against the systematic and methodical approach of real scientific experiments. It should not be used as a reference for proper scientific practices.

Back