Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Re-Inventors

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have just seen part of one episode on Discovery. What a morons... They do what each crackpot does - they ignore the physics, as if they have never heard about it.

I have seen WWI helmet gun - they silently ignored the fact that recoil will break the neck (to some extent they were aware of the problem, as they put a plank behind dummy just to make it stiffer). Then tehy were trying pedal powered helicopter - and they elected to not mention fact that such approach can't work, as it will rotate around its own axis. If you ask me - they do more harm than good to general public.

Mythbusters are not always correct, but at least they don't ignore in the most blatant manner basic conservation laws.

Discovery Channel has just lost a lot in my eyes.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2

S_Happens

Gold Member

I haven't seen episodes of this show, but I lost respect long ago from shows like A Haunting. Now they feature stuff like Ghost Lab.

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What show is this? I googled it and the first page was a page of torrents to download episodes!

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4

Borek

6. Nov 30, 2009 #5
    Based on the description on Wiki and having never seen it, I think a show that did this and then took the time to explain why the invention does or doesn't work would be a nice visual aid for demonstrating different engineering/scientific principles. Whether or not the show actually does this though I can not say.

7. Nov 30, 2009 #6

Borek

Agreed. I have nothing against the general idea of the show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook