Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The REAL Latest Technologies?

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1
    There MUST be some top-secret research facilities working at the frontier of science.

Just curious, what do you guys think they might be working on right now?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2009 #2
    mind control using electronic brain stimulators (im serious)

4. Aug 2, 2009 #3
    How can you be so sure?

5. Aug 2, 2009 #4
    Hey, he did say he was serious.

6. Aug 2, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.

7. Aug 2, 2009 #6
    yes, I deleted my post .. after realizing that

8. Aug 2, 2009 #7
    Well, avant-garde isn't responding... may be he already got murdered for giving us a hint? XP

9. Aug 2, 2009 #8
    The buzz around Echelon and Chameleon is that they are perfecting the egg drop experiment.

10. Aug 2, 2009 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Self-toasting bread.

11. Aug 2, 2009 #10
    I am certain that top government secret research facilities are working on a NEW Ipod.

The Chinese will never know what hit 'em.

12. Aug 2, 2009 #11
    I heard one super secret government lab is working on filters to keep crackpots off the internet.

13. Aug 2, 2009 #12
    There's nothing top-secret. If you want to know what's being developed, though, search DARPA websites, scientific websites, and engineering websites.

Stuff like Area 51 is kind of trumped-up and stupid - it's a weapons and aircraft research facility.

14. Aug 2, 2009 #13
    Nothing terribly important that I can think of that's possibly top secret.

15. Aug 2, 2009 #14
    I wonder why...............

16. Aug 2, 2009 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok you all want to know the big secrets? Here goes:

1. Missiles that can use the bus
    2. Mini-tanks roughly a foot long that can be driven by kids with operational turrets
    3. Dolphins with lasers on their backs
    4. iphones that don't make you look like a douchebag
    5. an analog version of GPS, requires no electricity, codenamed "M.A.P."

17. Aug 2, 2009 #16
    it has to be A.I.... however I don't think they've had any success with it, or else we would have noticed it already!

18. Aug 2, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: And how would you know? Yes, there is plenty of top secret information related to weapons development and other areas of interest. There always has been since at least WWII. If you want a great example from the cold war, watch astrospies.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=328079

The A bomb was the most classified project in history.

Partially true, however the government also denied its existence for many years. For a long time it was the most secret facility in the US. The only reason that the government finally admitted to its existence was that the families of people who had worked there and died, allegedly from exposure to dangerous chemicals, sued the government. Just because there were trumped-up stories related to Groom Lake, that doesn't take away from its historic and highly classified role in US military history.

The irony here is really unbelievable: For years the UFO buffs claimed that the facility existed. The government denied it and the UFO crowd was ridiculed for their claim [not to mention the many other claims made]. Now that existence of the facility is public information - you can look at it on Google Earth - the claim is that it was never really a secret in the first place. Too funny!

As for the op: You can bet that we already have technology to counter stealth technology. Stealth technology itself was highly classified for about twenty years. Even the SR-71 was somewhat stealthy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  19. Aug 2, 2009 #18
    I would like to point out that a certain weapon used in the second Transformers movie is actually real.

20. Aug 2, 2009 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I KNEW the Allspark was real!

21. Aug 2, 2009 #20
    lol...I wish.

Nah, the rail gun. Quite an interesting weapons platform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook