Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The real reason why women wear high-heeled shoes.

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    This thread is to honor the 200th birthday of the great Charles Darwin coming up this February.

Anyway, back to the topic at-hand. I hypothesize that the reason why female humans wear high-heeled shoes ("pumps") is to gain a deceptive advantage in their physical height. This will make them more appealing to the taller males of our species; thus, if the female can sucessfully have offspring with the taller male by deceiving him thus, her offspring may have a higher chance of reproductive sucess. This fits well within the framework of the progress of human evolution, and that framework is that the human species is evolving into a taller species, not a more intelligent one (this framework fails on small landmasses, where the 'island dwarfing' phonomena takes place).
    If you're a male and you see a female wearing pumps, it would serve you best if you try to visually remove about three inches off the female's apparent height before engaging in conversation.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really?! Are you sure? I mean, I thought they just liked sore toes and risking spraining their ankles. :uhh:

Though, the funny thing is I work with some people who do wear heels to work, and they are actually taller than me or the same height, and everyone seems to assume I'm the taller one even though I don't wear heels. I really haven't quite figured it out. I could understand if they had bad posture making them seem shorter, but they don't. They must count my horns.

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    I know that this is going off on a tangent, but the title of the thread made me imagine a dog with red high heels.

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If a male is so shallow that he actually needs to be told to look beyond the physical, the relationship is doomed from the start.

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5
    Classy high heeled shoes were invented in the 1600s by the French or Italians, and not that many women wear them. I doubt that most men look at shoes the same way women look at men's shoes. :cool:

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it's just height. High heels make the leg look more shapely and toned by contracting the calf muscles. Light colored heels can also disguise thick ankles because the foot looks larger in contrast.

8. Nov 23, 2009 #7
    Few weeks ago my coworker was wearing high heels but didn't know how to walk in them .. :rofl: she's an engineer

9. Nov 23, 2009 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have actually read a paper on why men find women in high heels attractive. Unfortunately, the main reason they found was that it made women vulnerable. When they are tetering on high heels, they have to take smaller, more careful steps. Supposedly this brings out the primal instinct in men to want to posses and/or protect them. This also ties into the Japanese Kimono thing where women are restricted to taking small steps and Chinese foot binding.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  10. Nov 23, 2009 #9
    I have a friend who wears heels probably 85% of the time. It's actually causing her damage but she refuses to wear normal shoes.

11. Nov 23, 2009 #10
    They also push up the buttocks to make it look more, um, something. (And screw up the lower back in the process.)

12. Nov 23, 2009 #11

Evo

A co-worker just had foot surgery for injuries caused by her trendy shoes.

13. Nov 23, 2009 #12
    If you want a man's take on it, this is mine: I think women who wear high-heeled shoes "at the office" come off as bossy and bitchy. They are power-driven and assertive. They don't have a vulnerable bone in their body, and tend to show off their legs to the CEO.
    On the street, the trend continues, with pump-wearing prostitutes chewing and smacking gum loudly in your face, then walk away fearlessly down the dark New York alley where the crack is liberally supplied.
    Even when pumps are worn by a sophisticated woman in an upscale setting they can come off as somewhat intimidating, with the woman stopping by to browse the offerings in the Victoria's Secret store, or the Hustler store; there is something anti-sophisticated about those shoes she's wearing!

I'd agree, OTOH, that Geisha's are feminine and gracile--quite the polar opposite of the pump-wearing female. Geisha's to me seem the vulnerable ones, and arouse the primal instincts to posess and protect that you mentioned earlier. My $2.

14. Nov 23, 2009 #13
    So as we can see, the pump is indeed fulfilling its role as a means to gain the evolutionary advantage, if by deceptive means.
    May you rest in peace, Sir Charles.

15. Nov 23, 2009 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Believe me - we aren't looking looking at your ankles :wink:

16. Nov 23, 2009 #15
    To paraphrase mgb, light colored as well as dark colored heels accentuate the receding stroll.

17. Nov 23, 2009 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may not always be men who do the inspecting and criticizing, but women do seek out plastic surgery for "cankles".

18. Nov 23, 2009 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Light colored heels will accentuate the narrowness of the calf more than the dark ones.

19. Nov 23, 2009 #18

Evo

Cankles, and women in California have calf implants. So sad.

Having perfect legs, I pity those fools. :devil:

I learned awhile back that cute high heels were a thing of the past for me. Flat, practical shoes are all I wear now. Luckily I still have the hottest legs in the universe, even in orthopedic shoes.

20. Nov 24, 2009 #19
    I am not deceived by high heels. I like thick shapely legs and not even a pair of pumps is going to make skinny little bird legs look sexy to me. And since shorter women tend to have thicker legs the hight change does not help matters any. Tall amazonians are sometimes attractive too though. They usually wear flats.

21. Nov 24, 2009 #20
    Not sure what a woman's reason is for wearing heels but one result is that you can always hear them coming. Clip-clop. On second thought maybe that is one of the reasons, it attracts your attention.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook