Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The recoil of an electron receding from a photon

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1
    Hi, everyone, i'm a high school student and i wanna ask if an electron moves in the same direction as the photon which is about to strike it, would it recoil away as if struck by one with a lower frequency (due to Dopler's effect/ red-shifting effect) or would it recoil as if struck by the photon of original frequency without any alteration?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would "recoil" as if struck by one with a lower frequency. "Frequency" is the same as energy for photons, and energy is frame-dependent. Depending upon who's looking at it, the photon can have different energies.

- Warren

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the effective frequency of the photon will be less.
    It is given by f'=fm/(E+p) for an electron of mass m, momentum p,
    and total energy E.

5. Apr 8, 2005 #4
    Thx for the reply. :approve: And just to add, would this suggest a violation of conservation of energy??

6. Apr 8, 2005 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is consistent with conservation of energy. Energy is a four-vector in SR, and is usually different in different systems (as Chroot said). The f' in my answer above is the frequency of the photon in the rest system of the electron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?