Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The relation between Huygens-Steiner and parallel axis theorems

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi,

Let [itex]I^{\mu}_{\xi}[/itex] denotes the inertia tensor of a system of N particles; each with mass [itex]m_{i}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_{i}}[/itex] represents the corresponding position vector with respect to an arbitrary point P. [itex]I^{\mu}_{\xi}[/itex] can be written as:

[tex]I^{\mu}_{\xi} = \sum_{i=1}^N m_{i} ( r_{i}^{2} \delta_{\xi}^{\mu} - r_{i,\xi} r_{i}^{\mu}) [/tex]

Moreover, [itex]\tilde{I}[/itex][itex]^{\mu}_{\xi}[/itex] is the inertia tensor in a coordinate system in which center of mass is located at the origin, that is:

[tex]\tilde{I}^{\mu}_{\xi} = \sum_{i=1}^N m_{i} ( \tilde{r}_{i}^{2} \delta_{\xi}^{\mu} - \tilde{r}_{i,\xi} \tilde{r}_{i}^{\mu}) [/tex]

where [itex]\vec{\tilde{r}_{i}}[/itex] represent position vector with respect to center of mass. According to Huygens-Steiner theorem, there exist a relation of this form between [itex]I^{\mu}_{\xi}[/itex] and [itex]\tilde{I}[/itex][itex]^{\mu}_{\xi}[/itex]:

[tex]I^{\mu}_{\xi} = \tilde{I}^{\mu}_{\xi} + \sum_{i=1}^N m_{i} ( R^{2} \delta_{\xi}^{\mu} - R_{\xi} R^{\mu}) [/tex]

where [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] is the position vector of center of mass in the original coordinate system (with point P at the origin). I tried to prove the parallel axis theorem on the basis of Huygens-Steiner theorem. I multiplied both sides of the latter equation by [itex]n_{\mu}n^{\xi}[/itex], where [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] is a unit vector that represents the direction of rotation, i.e., if [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is the angular velocity vector, [itex]\vec{\omega} = \omega\ \vec{n}[/itex].

[tex]n_{\mu}n^{\xi} I^{\mu}_{\xi} = n_{\mu}n^{\xi} \tilde{I}^{\mu}_{\xi} + \sum_{i=1}^N m_{i} ( n_{\mu}n^{\xi} R^{2} \delta_{\xi}^{\mu} - n_{\mu}n^{\xi} R_{\xi} R^{\mu}) [/tex]

which gives:

[tex] I = \tilde{I} + \sum_{i=1}^N m_{i} ( n_{\mu}n^{\xi} R^{2} \delta_{\xi}^{\mu} - n_{\mu}n^{\xi} R_{\xi} R^{\mu}) \ (1)[/tex]

[itex]I[/itex] and [itex]\tilde{I}[/itex] are moment of inertia in coordinate systems with origin fixed on P and center of mass, respectively, given [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] describing direction of rotation. Also, as [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] is defined as a unit vector

[tex]n_{\mu}n^{\xi} R^{2} \delta_{\xi}^{\mu} = R^{2}[/tex]

We can write equation (1) as:

[tex] I = \tilde{I} + \sum_{i=1}^N m_{i} ( R^{2} - (n_{\mu} R^{\mu})^{2}) [/tex]

or

[tex] I = \tilde{I} + \sum_{i=1}^N m_{i} ( R^{2} - (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{R})^{2}) [/tex]

It seems that, it is a generalization of the parallel axis theorem to three dimensions: if our particles are distributed in a plane (hence a two dimensional distribution), and the direction of rotation is perpendicular to the resulting plane, ([itex] \vec{n} \cdot \vec{R} = 0 [/itex]) we get the following equation:

[tex] I = \tilde{I} + \sum_{i=1}^N m_{i} R^{2} [/tex]

which is the parallel axis theorem.

- Is parallel axis theorem a notion which only mention to this two dimensional case? If yes, then what this three dimensional generalization is named (if it has been named at all)?

- It seems that, the parallel axis theorem concerns relations between the moment of inertia in an arbitrary coordinate system and the center of mass frame, given a direction of rotation. On the other hand, Huygens-Steiner theorem concerns relation between inertia tensors in these two frames. Is it a correct picture?

Here, I want to thanks for your attention and apologize if it was too long.

Best regards and thanks again,
    Ali

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted