Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The relationship between the lattice spacing and the distance between parallel planes

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    How can one derive the relationship for a cubic crystal:
    [itex]d= \frac{a}{\sqrt{h^2 + k^2 + l^2}}[/itex]

It is shown here.

This is probably trivial but I am having trouble proving it as the Miller indices are reciprocals but the reciprocal is not distributive. This isn't for homework by the way - I am just going over solid state stuff from last year trying to get a more solid understanding than I got when I just learnt it by focusing on the then impending exams.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
    Re: The relationship between the lattice spacing and the distance between parallel pl

I found the solution had already been posted here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119037

Can someone explain why the sum of the squares of the cosines is equal to one though? It just says 'from trig' but I'm not familiar with that identity :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook