Relativistic Boat: Does It Float or Sink?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "relativistic boat" and how it would behave in different frames of reference. The standard solution is that the boat would sink due to the increased gravitational force at relativistic speeds. However, the conversation presents an alternative approach that suggests the boat may actually stay afloat due to an increase in buoyancy caused by the contracted water. Further discussion and equations are provided to support this idea.
genesic
This is a thought experiment that my friends and I (physics graduate students all) were pondering while we should have been doing Jackson homework. Consider a boat traveling at relativistic speeds. From the boat's frame, the water is contracted, and therefore is more dense. This would increase the buoyancy of the water and keep the boat afloat. However, from the water's frame, the boat is contracted, making it smaller and denser. Since a smaller amount of water is displaced, there is a smaller buoyant force, and so the boat sinks. So what actually happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
genesic said:
From the boat's frame, the water is contracted, and therefore is more dense. This would increase the buoyancy of the water and keep the boat afloat.

The standard solution is that when gravity is also considered, the 'relativistic boat' tends to sink, e.g.: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0305106" .

IMO, another (easy) way to look at it is that the radial acceleration caused by Earth is larger than 1g when the boat is moving relativistically in a transverse direction, i.e., when it has an angular velocity relative to Earth's center of mass.

[tex]
\frac{d^2 r}{d t^2} = \frac {3 m{{\it v_r}}^{2}}{ \left( r-2\,m \right) r} + \left( r-2\,m \right) \left( {{\it v_\phi}}^{2}-{\frac {m}{{r}^{3}}} \right)
[/tex]

as https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1046874&postcount=17", where [itex]v_{\phi} =d\phi/dt[/itex] (geometric units). It is clear that any non-zero [itex]v_{\phi} [/itex] causes an increase in [itex]{d^2 r}/{d t^2} [/itex].

[Edit: I erred when working out the limit when speed approaches c, so I took it out for now...]

[Edit2: I also realized that this can only work for a 'flat planet' scenario. For a normal, almost spherical planet, any relativistic speed will let the boat fly out of the water and possibly even reach escape velocity...]:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jorrie said:
[Edit2: I also realized that this can only work for a 'flat planet' scenario. For a normal, almost spherical planet, any relativistic speed will let the boat fly out of the water and possibly even reach escape velocity...]

I would like to know if the following is a valid approach to the problem. In order to convert pervect's polar coordinate analysis:

[tex]

\frac{d^2 r}{d t^2} = \frac {3 m{{\it v_r}}^{2}}{ \left( r-2\,m \right) r} + \left( r-2\,m \right) \left( {{\it v_\phi}}^{2}-{\frac {m}{{r}^{3}}} \right)

[/tex]

to a pseudo-Cartesian system for a 'flat planet' analysis, we can subtract the centrifugal acceleration [itex]r v^2_{\phi}[/itex] and also get rid of the angular velocity by replacing it with a horizontal (x) velocity: [itex]v_x = r v_{\phi}[/itex].

If we take the initial radial velocity [itex]v_r = v_y = 0[/itex], we get the initial vertical (Cartesian) acceleration of a free-falling submarine, moving at [itex]v_x[/itex] (with c=G=1):

[tex]

\frac{d^2 y}{d t^2} = \left( r-2\,m \right) \left( \frac{{ v_x}^{2}}{r^2}-{\frac {m}{{r}^{3}}} \right) -\frac{{ v_x}^{2}}{r} = -\frac{m}{r^2}\left(1-\frac{2m}{r} + 2v_x^2\right)

[/tex]

In a weak field (1g), but high speed Earth surface scenario, the vertical gravitational acceleration simply becomes: [itex]a \approx (1 + 2v_x^2) [/tex] g, with g ~ -9.8 m/s[itex]^2[/itex].

Last edited:
This is basically the same as the "submarine paradox" that was investigated by George Matsas. See http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0305106

<edit> Oops, I just noticed that Jorrie has already posted that link.. sorry

P.S.

In an old thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=225573&highlight=submarine&page=5 I worked out this aproximate weak field equation for the force acting on a particle moving horizontally in a gravitational field :

[tex] F' = \frac{GMm}{R^2} \frac{(1-Vv/c^2)^2}{(1-V^2/c^2)\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} [/tex]

where:
V = horizontal velocity of the massive body (M) wrt the observer,
v = horizontal velocity of the test particle (m) wrt the observer,
M >> m.

This equation can be used to work out the buoyancy forces of the water or the force acting on the submarine, from the point of view of an observer at rest with the water or co-moving with the submarine.

Last edited:
kev said:
... I worked out this approximate weak field equation for the force acting on a particle moving horizontally in a gravitational field :

[tex] F' = \frac{GMm}{R^2} \frac{(1-Vv/c^2)^2}{(1-V^2/c^2)\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} [/tex]

I agree - both approximations 'resolve' the submarine paradox by increasing the gravitational force.

1. Does the mass of the boat affect whether it will float or sink in a relativistic scenario?

Yes, the mass of the boat does affect whether it will float or sink in a relativistic scenario. According to the theory of relativity, mass and energy are equivalent, so the more massive the boat is, the more energy it has and the harder it will be to accelerate to relativistic speeds, increasing the likelihood of sinking.

2. How does the speed of the boat impact its buoyancy?

The speed of the boat does not directly impact its buoyancy, but it does affect the forces acting on the boat. As the boat approaches relativistic speeds, its mass increases, making it more difficult for the boat to displace enough water to float. This can lead to a decrease in buoyancy and potentially cause the boat to sink.

3. Can a relativistic boat float in a body of water with a lower density than itself?

Yes, a relativistic boat can float in a body of water with a lower density than itself. This is because the buoyant force on the boat is determined by the displacement of water, not the density of the water. As long as the boat is able to displace enough water to equal or exceed its own mass, it will float regardless of the density of the water.

4. What would happen to a relativistic boat if it were to hit a solid object in the water?

If a relativistic boat were to hit a solid object in the water, it would experience a tremendous amount of force due to its high speed and mass. This could potentially cause the boat to sink or break apart upon impact. Additionally, the collision could create a shockwave that could displace the surrounding water, potentially causing further damage to the boat.

5. Is the concept of buoyancy still applicable in a relativistic scenario?

Yes, the concept of buoyancy is still applicable in a relativistic scenario. While the forces acting on the boat may be different due to the effects of relativity, the fundamental principle of buoyancy remains the same: an object will float if it displaces enough water to equal or exceed its own weight, and it will sink if it is unable to displace enough water.