Find a Degree Three Polynomial with x-2 Remainder of 3 - Hint: Work Backwards!

In summary: If you want a function that is shifted up by 3 units, simply multiply (x-2) times any second degree polynomial, plus 3. In summary, you will need to find a polynomial of degree three that when divided by x-2 has a remainder of 3. Work backwards!
southerngirl5390
Find a polynomial of degree three that when divided by x - 2 has a remainder of 3. You will really have to think on this one. Hint: Work backwards!

ok here's the thing I've tried I've looked at other problems but I can barely work problems forward, backwards...well your talking to me here my math skills are beyond horrible! my very sad attempt at this goes as follows

x^3...?

could someone just help at like walking me through it or tell me the first step i'll take anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll see if I can get you to an understanding of the remainder theorem...

Let's take the function f(x) = x^2 + 5x - 6
substitute 1 for x. What do you get? 0
Divide the function by (x-1). What's the remainder? 0
f(x) = x^2 +5x -6 can be factored as (x-1)(x+6)
That's why a value of 1 for x causes it to be zero.

Now, let's review something else for a moment. Look at the graph of f(x) = x^2. Now, look at the graph of f(x) = x^2 + 1. Now, look at the graph of f(x) = x^2 +7. In the first graph, the vertex was at the origin. In the second graph, every point was "lifted up" one unit. In the 3rd graph, the original graph was shifted 7 units vertically. So, adding a number or subtracting a number at the end of a function serves to shift it up or down that many units.

Now, let's look at f(x) = x^2 + 5x - 6 again. We noticed that when x = 1, the value of this function is 0. That's because (x-1) is a factor of the function. Thus, if you divided x^2 + 5x - 6 by (x-1), you'd get a remainder of 1.
Now, for fun, let's add 17 to this function. f(x) = x^2 + 5x - 6 + 17, or
f(x) = x^2 + 5x + 11. Plug in 1 for x, the same x value as last time. Hmmm... f(x) = 17. That shouldn't be a surprise; by adding 17 to the function, we took an original point on the function (1,0), and raised it 17 units to a new point: (1,17)

Now, let's see what happens when we divide f(x)=x^2 + 5x +11 by (x-1). We get a remainder of 17! This also isn't a coincidence. Look at the quotient: (x + 6). By dividing, we have figured out that
x^2 + 5x + 11 can be written as (x-1)(x+6) + a remainder of 17.
Thus, f(x) = (x+1)(x+6) + 17
This shows us that this new function (with +11 for the constant) is simply the old function raised 17 units.

Now, start with a function of the order you desire; one that has a root of zero somewhere. Now, shift (translate) your function by adding a value to the constant. Check your answer.

(x-2) times any second degree polynomial you want, plus 3!

That's all you need to do.

1. What is the remainder theorem?

The remainder theorem is a mathematical concept that states that the remainder of a polynomial division can be calculated by substituting the value of the variable in the polynomial and then solving for the remainder.

2. How is the remainder theorem used?

The remainder theorem is used to find the remainder of a polynomial division when the divisor is in the form of (x-a). It is also used to determine whether a given value is a root of a polynomial equation.

3. What is the relationship between the remainder theorem and the factor theorem?

The remainder theorem and the factor theorem are closely related as they are both used to determine the factors of a polynomial equation. The remainder theorem helps to find the remainder of a polynomial division, while the factor theorem helps to identify the factors of a polynomial equation.

4. How do you prove the remainder theorem?

The remainder theorem can be proven using polynomial long division. By dividing the polynomial by (x-a), where 'a' is the value being substituted, the remainder can be obtained. This remainder is the same as the value obtained by substituting 'a' in the polynomial equation and solving for the remainder.

5. Can the remainder theorem be applied to all types of polynomial equations?

Yes, the remainder theorem can be applied to all types of polynomial equations. It is a general concept that can be used to find the remainder of polynomial divisions for any type of polynomial equation.