Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The results of integrals?

1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    I'm doing calclus 3 right now and I'm trying to put together the results of integrals.
    Can you correct me if I'm wrong and the one's I missed ( particularly 4 / 5 / 6). I also that the integrals can mean different things based on context. But in terms of areas and volumes atleast?

1) ∫ dx {limits x=a to x=b} -> gives length of a line segment

2) ∫ f(x) dx {limits x=a to x=b} -> area of region below y= f(x) >= 0 and y =0

3) ∫ ∫ dy dx {limits x=a to x=b / y= f1 x and y = f2x} -> area between 2 curves

4) ∫ ∫ f(x,y) = z dy dx {limits x=a to x=b / y= f1 x and y = f2x} -> volume bounded by the surface

5) ∫ ∫ ∫ dx dy dz -> ???

6) ∫ ∫ ∫ f(x,y,z) dx dy dz -> ???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Those are possible applications of the different kinds of integrals but you should understand that the integrals themselves do not automatically give any specific application.

) ∫ dx {limits x=a to x=b} -> gives length of a line segment.
    This is equal to b- a which would be the length on the x-axis from a to b

2) ∫ f(x) dx {limits x=a to x=b} -> area of region below y= f(x) >= 0 and y =0
    Assuming that y= f(x) is a graph such that f(x)> 0 for all x between a and b, then, yes, it is the area bounded by the graphs of y= f(x), y= 0, x= a, and x= b.

3) ∫ ∫ dy dx {limits x=a to x=b / y= f1 x and y = f2x} -> area between 2 curves
    Yes, if y= f1(x) and y= f(x2) are such that f2(x)> f1(x) (or vice-versa) for all x between a and b, this is one possible interpretation.

4) ∫ ∫ f(x,y) = z dy dx {limits x=a to x=b / y= f1 x and y = f2x} -> volume bounded by the surfaceY
    Yes, again with the stipulation that f(x,y) > 0 for all x, y in that area. Of course, you could also interpret f(x,y) as "surface density" so that this integral is the "mass" of the surface. More generally, f(x,y) could be a "density" of any property and the integral the total property. For example f could be temperature which is proportional to heat density and then the integral would be the heat contained in the surface.

5) ∫ ∫ ∫ dx dy dz -> ???[/quote]
    The simplest interpretation would be the volume of the region integrated over.

6) ∫ ∫ ∫ f(x,y,z) dx dy dz -> ???
    We can interpret f(x, y, z) as the density of some property - mass density, temperature as a "heat density", etc so that the integral gives the "total" mass or heat, etc.

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook