Finding Number of Moles with Ideal Gas Equation

In summary, The conversation is about finding the number of moles using the ideal gas equation n = PV/RT, but the person is unsure of the units to use. They question if the answer should be in moles and ask for clarification on the units. The expert responds by confirming that the equation is correct and the units used will give the number of moles.
jimmy42
I want to find the number of moles and I have the ideal gas equation as :

n = PV/RT

However I think I'm using the wrong units to find it, I want the answers in moles.

n = (1 Pa * 1 m^3) /(8.314 JK^-1 mol^-1 * 1K)

so would this give the answer x mol^-1??

I can't see how that would be.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where's the mol^-1 in the formula? What's

[tex]\frac{1}{a^{-1}} = ?[/tex]

Doesn't that just equal a? Not sure how that helps?

Isn't 1Pa * 1m^3 = 1 Pa m^3??

n gives the number of moles and you are using the right units.

I can confirm that your equation is correct for calculating the number of moles using the ideal gas equation. However, the units you are using are not consistent and may result in an incorrect answer. In order to get the answer in moles, you need to use consistent units for pressure, volume, temperature, and the gas constant.

For pressure, it is recommended to use units of atmospheres (atm) or kilopascals (kPa). For volume, it is recommended to use units of liters (L) or cubic meters (m^3). For temperature, it is recommended to use units of Kelvin (K). And for the gas constant, it is recommended to use units of liters*atm/mol*K or joules/mol*K.

Once you have consistent units, you can plug in the values and solve for the number of moles. Remember to also check that the units cancel out correctly to give you moles as the final unit.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and assists you in finding the correct answer. As always, double check your units and calculations to ensure accuracy. Happy experimenting!

1. How do you calculate the number of moles using the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation, PV = nRT, can be rearranged to solve for the number of moles (n) by dividing both sides by RT. This gives us the formula n = PV/RT.

2. What are the units used in the Ideal Gas Equation?

The units used in the Ideal Gas Equation are: pressure (P) in atmospheres (atm), volume (V) in liters (L), temperature (T) in Kelvin (K), and the gas constant (R) in units of L*atm/mol*K.

3. Can the Ideal Gas Equation be used for all gases?

The Ideal Gas Equation can be used for most gases at low pressures and high temperatures. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of real gases at high pressures or low temperatures.

4. How do you convert from Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius (°C) to Kelvin (K), simply add 273 to the Celsius temperature. This is because the Kelvin scale starts at absolute zero, which is -273°C.

5. Is the Ideal Gas Equation affected by changes in atmospheric pressure?

Yes, the Ideal Gas Equation is affected by changes in atmospheric pressure. As pressure increases, the volume of a gas decreases, and as pressure decreases, the volume of a gas increases. This is known as Boyle's Law and is a fundamental principle of the Ideal Gas Equation.