Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Road to Area 51

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-03/45879002.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/features/la-mag-april052009-backstory,0,3355162.story

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    Interesting photograph. Wonder what parts these trucks were transporting

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    Disk-like fuselage. 2000 plus mph. Are there images of this craft anywhere, Ivan?

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know as much about it as I do; in fact more because I haven't read the article yet. :blushing: Being that it's the LA Times, I just posted it.

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Apr 8, 2009 #6
    Also look at the A-12A Avenger..

http://www.ausairpower.net/000-A-12A-USN-3.jpg [Broken]

http://www.ausairpower.net/A-12A-Avenger-Ventral-1.jpg [Broken]

Yeah...looks kinda like a flying saucer. Case closed :p

8. Apr 8, 2009 #7
    Those pics exaggerate the disk-likeness of the fuselage. I googled more images and got this:

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/OXCART_aircraft_on_the_ramp_at_Groom_Lake_Area_51_in_1964._There_are_ten_aircraft_in_the_photo__the_first_eight_are_OXCART_machines__and_the_last_two_are_Air_Force_YF-12As.jpg [Broken]

The flying triangles are more convincing as UFO report generators.

9. Apr 8, 2009 #8
    On the Wiki article for area 51 there is a picture that says "Photography Prohibited" apparently someone must have not listened to that rule.:rofl:

10. Apr 8, 2009 #9
    I just don't understand why the government allows detailed satellite imagery of area 51 and all of the other military facilities on google maps!

11. Apr 8, 2009 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1, The satellites are French
    2, anybody capable of learning anything from the pictures have their own satellites
    3, It's a conspiracy to distract you from all the secret stuff they store at Area 52

12. Apr 8, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Just in case you guys didn't totally get it, to clarify, "Oxcart" was the codename for the replacement for the U-2. The A-11 was the 11th design revision. The final design revision was A-12, which was then later given the designation... RS-71. Due to a typo and an incorrect announcement, the designation was later changed to SR-71.

A lot of that is in the CIA link...

13. Apr 8, 2009 #12

russ_watters

Whether you see a flying triangle or disk may depend on the viewing angle and sun angle. Note that while the wings are relatively flat, the fuselage is curved and might not reflect light well if illuminated from below.

14. Apr 8, 2009 #13
    1. A foreign ally like France is not going to publicize top secret US military intelligence information. Even if such an event were to occur against the wishes of the US, Google is a US company subject to US laws and they can't publicize top secret US military intelligence without getting in a load of trouble either. So if the satellites are French, that makes no difference.. the fact that they are up there on Google means that it's perfectly OK with the US military, and that's the surprising thing...

2. Anyone with a pair of eyes can learn something from an image! But these aren't just "any images," they are already geo-registered and in many cases detailed enough to show precise locations used to store airplanes, nuclear submarines, etc. Anyone who wanted to launch a "pearl harbor" style attack could just be silently taking all this into account. In addition, knowing the building layout could be very useful in plotting any kind of attack...whether it be infiltration/theft/espionage.

I don't think that the citizens would be incredibly offended if the government mandated that all militarized regions be completely blacked out on Google maps -- in fact considering the highly militaristic post-911-paranoid attitude that is prevalent, I think this would be comforting to a lot of people. There's just no reason to take that sort of risks with a nations security.

By your logic, the government might as well just declassify everything, on the grounds that any worth opponent has probably infiltrated their deepest ranks with spies already. The reality is, that's easier said than done. I doubt that every would-be terrorist organization owns their own satellites taking high quality images over US military zones (and there is a lot of mathematical image processing that needs to be done to geo-register those images as well), and by giving away this kind of information as freebies, it could be enabling them.

3. If this last bullet point is any indication that you weren't being entirely serious with the first 2 points, then let my responses to the first two be an indication that your humor slipped entirely under my radar!

15. Apr 8, 2009 #14
    Junglebeast, what a great pic of the B2!

But that bomber was not built or tested at Area 51. The testing flight path may have taken it over Area 51, but that was classified information. From what I know, it was tested over the Calif desert. I used to work on that program, and when ever I got the call saying a plane had just landed from a test flight, I always wondered how many UFO sightings had been reported over the last two hours..... :D

16. Apr 9, 2009 #15
    I suppose as long as the shape you see is unconventional and going by at 2000 mph you'll be unsettled.

17. Apr 9, 2009 #16

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The satellites in question are using technology that is ancient compared to the kind of technology that is used in modern military/intelligence satellites.
    There are LOTS of spy satellites in orbit that can take images with much better quality than anything published by Google. This has been the true for a long time now meaning everyone has adapted to it.
    You can therefore be sure that if something can be seen on the Google maps it is either because it is not secret, or someone wants it to be seen.

18. Apr 9, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it was going 2000 mph and close enough for observers to make out the shape, you would never see it.

19. Apr 9, 2009 #18
    How close would it have to be to make out a shape (as discussed by Russ)?

20. Apr 9, 2009 #19

russ_watters

You'd probably be disappointed with spy satellite photos. The atmosphere makes it very difficult to get much better resolution than what you see in Googlel Earth. They aren't reading license plates from space.

21. Apr 9, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One would have to get into the resolution of vision, but it's a moot point because anything going that fast would be at a very high altitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook