Robertson Diagram & Ω-ΩM Plane: Resources & Explanations

• Thread starter Airsteve0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation is about the Robertson diagram and the \Omega_\Lambda-\Omega_M plane, two models commonly used in general relativity. The speaker is looking for additional resources to understand these diagrams and their relation to the universe and its parameters. They mention that the Robertson diagram may be paywalled, but suggests that as a university student, it can be accessed through the library. The \Omega_\Lambda-\Omega_M plane is a commonly used model, although not always referred to by that specific name. The speaker asks for clarification on the diagrams and for recommendations for additional material.
Airsteve0
In my general relativity course my professor actively refers to the models in the lecture .pdf I have included as "The Robertson Diagram" and "The Ω[itex]\Lambda[/itex] - ΩM Plane", respectively. I am not doubting that he is correct but I would like to do some additional reading on the subject and I am having trouble finding other resources when I search these names. If anyone knows other names that these types of plots go by or resources which explain them I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your knowledge, thank you.

Attachments

• The Omega Plane.pdf
    423.6 KB · Views: 309
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the first time I've come across the Robertson diagram, either by that name or by any other. I guess the reference by Robertson, [1], is probably paywalled, but since you're a university student you could simply go to the library and pull it off the shelf.

The [itex]\Omega_\Lambda-\Omega_M[/itex] plane is extremely common, and although I haven't seen it named in exactly that way before, the name is constructed so that it should make clear what it refers to. What is it about your professor's writeup that you're not understanding? Without knowing that, we have no way of knowing what reference to suggest as a supplement.

Mostly I was hoping to find some additional material explaining how these diagrams relate to the life of a universe and the parameters which describe it.

1. What is a Robertson Diagram and Ω-ΩM Plane?

A Robertson Diagram and Ω-ΩM Plane are graphical representations of the expansion history of the universe. The Robertson Diagram plots the scale factor of the universe on the x-axis and the energy density on the y-axis. The Ω-ΩM Plane plots the matter density parameter (ΩM) on the x-axis and the dark energy density parameter (ΩΛ) on the y-axis.

2. Why are the Robertson Diagram and Ω-ΩM Plane important?

These diagrams are important because they allow scientists to visualize and understand the evolution of the universe. They also help to determine the current state and future fate of the universe by analyzing the behavior of the expansion rate and energy densities over time.

3. How are the Robertson Diagram and Ω-ΩM Plane calculated?

The calculations for these diagrams involve using mathematical models and equations, such as the Friedmann equations, that describe the expansion of the universe. These calculations also take into account various parameters, such as the density of matter and dark energy, to plot the data points on the diagrams.

4. What resources can be used to learn more about the Robertson Diagram and Ω-ΩM Plane?

There are many resources available, both online and in scientific literature, that provide explanations and visualizations of the Robertson Diagram and Ω-ΩM Plane. Some examples include academic journals, textbooks, and websites of scientific organizations or institutions.

5. How do scientists use the Robertson Diagram and Ω-ΩM Plane in their research?

Scientists use these diagrams to analyze and interpret data from various cosmological observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and supernova explosions. By comparing the predicted values on the diagrams to these observations, scientists can test and refine theories about the evolution and composition of the universe.