How Fast Does a Rock Accelerate Past a Window?

• Thread starter mgerman63016
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock Window
In summary, a rock is dropped from the top of a building and takes 0.154 seconds to pass a tall window. The velocity of the rock at the bottom of the window and the time it took to reach the top of the window can be calculated using the basic equation of uniformly accelerated motion. The initial velocity for the top of the window can be found by using the equation V = Δx/Δt.
mgerman63016
1. A rock is dropped off the top of a building. On the way down, the rock passes a window. The window is known to be tall and the stone takes 0.154 to fall past the window.

1. What is the velocity of the rock at the bottom of the window?
2. How much time was necessary from the instant the rock was dropped until it reached the top of the window?
3. How far above the top of the window was the rock dropped?

So far I got
Yi=2.00m
Vi=?
a=9.81m/s^2
t= 0.154s
Yf= 0m
Vf=0m/s
I also got the initial velocity for the top window to be 12.98m/s which because I got my estimation wrong I got the answer wrong...sigh...BUT if I can get a little guidance I would GREATLY appreciate it! THANKS

And for my equation I used V = Δx/Δt = 2.00/0.154 = 12.98 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you used is good for an unaccelerated motion. The rock's is accelerated. What equations should you use for it?

could i use the

2a(y-yi)=Vy2-Voy2??

This equation alone will not do it. What is the basic equation of uniformly accelerated motion?

Hi there, as a scientist, I would like to clarify a few things about the scenario you have described. Firstly, it is important to define the units for the measurements you have given. For example, is the initial height of the rock (Yi) measured in meters or feet? This will affect your calculations.

Also, the acceleration due to gravity (a) should be negative because it is acting against the direction of motion of the rock. So, a = -9.81 m/s^2.

Now, let's move on to your equations. The equation you have used, V = Δx/Δt, is correct. However, it is important to note that this equation gives the average velocity of the rock during the time it takes to pass the window. To find the velocity at a specific point, we need to use the equation Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

To answer the first question, we need to find the final velocity of the rock at the bottom of the window. Since the rock is moving downwards, the final velocity will be negative. So, using the equation Vf = Vi + at, we get Vf = 0 + (-9.81)(0.154) = -1.51 m/s. Therefore, the velocity of the rock at the bottom of the window is -1.51 m/s.

For the second question, we need to find the time it takes for the rock to reach the top of the window. Since we are given the time it takes to pass the window, we can use this time to find the total time it takes for the rock to reach the top of the window. So, the total time (t) will be twice the time it takes to pass the window, which is 2(0.154) = 0.308 seconds.

Finally, to answer the third question, we can use the equation Yi = Vi(t) + 0.5at^2, where Yi is the initial height, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Rearranging this equation, we get Vi = (Yi - 0.5at^2)/t. Plugging in the values we know, we get Vi = (2 - 0.5(-9.81)(0.308

1. What is "The Rock and the Window" experiment?

The Rock and the Window is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the concept of inertia. It involves dropping a rock and a piece of paper from the same height, and observing how they fall differently due to their different masses.

2. What materials do I need to conduct this experiment?

To conduct the Rock and the Window experiment, you will need a rock, a piece of paper, and a tall building or structure to drop them from. You may also want to have a ruler or measuring tape to measure the height of the drop.

3. How do I perform the experiment?

Start by dropping the rock and the paper from the same height at the same time. Observe how the rock falls straight down while the paper is carried by the wind. You can also try dropping them from different heights and comparing the results.

4. What does this experiment demonstrate?

This experiment demonstrates the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. The rock has a greater mass and therefore more inertia, causing it to fall straight down, while the paper has less mass and is easily affected by outside forces, such as the wind.

5. What are some real-life applications of this experiment?

The concept of inertia demonstrated in this experiment has many real-life applications, such as in car accidents where seat belts and airbags are designed to protect passengers from their own inertia. It is also used in sports, such as in baseball where the mass of the bat affects how far the ball will travel when hit.