1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The rouché theorem

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    I have a problem with applying the rouché theorem to bigger polynomials. Generally,

(Az^4 + Bz^3 + Cz^2 + Dz + E) on some annulus k1 < |z-z0| < k2

So, I've tried applying the theorem by the version |f - g| < |f|, and I've chosen g as different terms in the polynomial, starting from z^4, and working down until the inequity is satisfied.

Basically what I can't figure out, is how to use the triangle inequity to evaluate the function on the contour. Also, doing the triangle-inequity-approximation, if I find it to be 3 zeros in the bigger circle, how can I know that the inequity approximation didn't ignore one of the zeros, and that there actually is 4 zeroes there? I mean, the |f - g| < |f| inequity may be satisfied even if the triangle equity says it aint? Or not?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted