Solving Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances

• Thread starter Born2Perform
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the maximum and minimum values of a function. The first part involves setting the function to find the area and taking its derivative to find the critical points. The second part involves squaring the distances and finding the derivative, which leads to an additional solution. However, this solution may not satisfy the original equation and the square of the area has a minimum at 1/2. There is also a discussion about the physical implications of the additional solution.
Born2Perform
1) In the middle of a max min problem, i set the function that gave me the area that the problem requested. it's:

[tex]A=\frac{\sqrt{2x-x^2}*(2x-1)}{2}[/tex] (but i can omit division by 2)

[tex]A'=2\sqrt{2x-x^2}+\frac{(2-2x)(2x-1)}{2\sqrt{2x-x^2}}[/tex]

[tex]A'=\frac{8x-4x^2-4x^2+2x+4x-2}{2\sqrt{2x-x^2}}[/tex]

putting the derivative = 0,

[tex]8x^2-14x+2=0[/tex], which gives the right result,

[tex]x_\textrm{1,2}=\frac{7\pm \sqrt{33}}{8}[/tex].

2) Now doing the square of the distances, i get:

[tex]A=(2x-x^2)(2x-1)^2=8x^3+2x-8x^2-4x^4-x^2+4x^3[/tex]

A'=0:

[tex]8x^3-18x^2+9x-2=0[/tex]

(not solvable with ruffini), should be equal to the result of the first derivative,

[tex]x_\textrm{1,2}=\frac{7\pm \sqrt{33}}{8}[/tex].

and in fact if i put the solutions of this first in the other, they work. but there is a third solution in the second, right? and however the equations are not the same, this worried me a lot on the problems i would get with square root of distances instead of pure distances.
can anyone tell me why i don't get the same equation? thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you have neglected to differentiate your expression for A in the second part.

Hootenanny said:
I believe you have neglected to differentiate your expression for A in the second part.
sorry, what do you mean?

Born2Perform said:
sorry, what do you mean?
Sorry my mistake, I thought you had not differentiated. Indeed the additional solution to the expression is x = 1/2. You could probably discount this solution if you consider the physical situation, however, not having seen your question I cannot comment.

I haven't checked but it is quite possible that the third solution to the cubic equation does not satisfy the original equation (with the square root) because it makes the root imaginary.

Born2Perform said:
2) Now doing the square of the distances, i get:

[tex]A=(2x-x^2)(2x-1)^2=8x^3+2x-8x^2-4x^4-x^2+4x^3[/tex]

A'=0:

[tex]8x^3-18x^2+9x-2=0[/tex]

You have an error here. The correct solution is
[tex]8x^3-18x^2+9x-1=(2x-1)(4x^2-7x+1)=0[/tex]

can anyone tell me why i don't get the same equation? thanks.

The "area" is negative between 0 and 1/2, positive between 1/2 and 2. The square of the area has a zero at 1/2, and this is also a minimum in the square of the area.

What is a Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances?

A Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances is a mathematical optimization problem where the objective is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function while also considering the distances between points. The square of distances is used in this problem to account for the relative importance of different points.

How is a Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances solved?

A Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances can be solved using various methods such as gradient descent, linear programming, or dynamic programming. The specific approach used will depend on the complexity of the problem and the available resources.

What are some real-world applications of solving Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances?

Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances has many practical applications, such as in resource allocation, network design, and facility location problems. It can also be used in data mining and machine learning algorithms to optimize performance and reduce error.

What are the benefits of using the square of distances in this problem?

The square of distances allows for a more accurate representation of the relative importance of points in the problem. It also helps to avoid issues with negative values and makes the optimization process more efficient.

Are there any limitations to solving Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances?

Like any mathematical problem, there are limitations to solving Max-Min Problem with Square of Distances. It may not always be possible to find a global maximum or minimum, and the solution may be sensitive to initial conditions. It also requires significant computational resources for complex problems.