1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The scalar product

1. Sep 6, 2006 #1
    Today I was given a problem to solve in class and was told to complete it for homework. This problem is as follows:

The line y=mx + c has a gradient m and cuts the y axis at (0,c). Thus we can write the parametric vector equation of the line as:

[tex]r = cj +\lambda (i + mj)[/tex]

Using this fact show that that the perpendicular distance from point [tex]A(x_1 , y_1)[/tex] to y = mx + c is:

[tex]\mid(\frac{mx_{1} - y_{1} + c}{\sqrt{m^2 + 1}})\mid[/tex]

If y = mx + c is instead written as ax + by + d = 0 show that the perpendicular distance of point [tex]A(x_1 , y_1)[/tex] to as ax + by + d = 0 is given by:

[tex]\mid(\frac{ax_{1} - by_{1} + d}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}})\mid[/tex]

This diagram which I drew to help me may help:

I have tried solving this problem by using vectors:

and I know that the dot product of [tex]( x_1 , y_1 )[/tex] and y = mx + c is equal to zero but from there onwards I am not sure on how to approach this problem. All help is appreciated,
    thanks, Pavadrin
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2006 #2
    First, you need to find a vector perpendicular to the line y = mx + c. Call this vector u. Let v be the vector that points to A. Then for some n, nu + v = r. The magnitude of nu is the perpendicular distance from the point A to the line y = mx + c.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?