lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Do one thing every day that scares you.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Well she's often given credit for that quote, but what she actually said was,

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.

You are able to say to yourself, “I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.”

The danger lies in refusing to face the fear, in not daring to come to grips with it. If you fail anywhere along the line it will take away your confidence. You must make yourself succeed every time. You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
Meh, close enough.

Today, I turned wood on a lathe. It was from a stump of a plum tree that was in our yard (just goes to show you that if you're a tree in our yard, you better make decent fruit!). It's scary because the tool can get away from you and get flung across the room, or you can get tangled up in the lathe. Both of those are bad, bad things but the second one is probably worse. Neither happened today, and tomorrow I will finish my first wood bowl.

So what did you do today that scared you?

Answers and Replies

Student100
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Stuided for exams.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Drove the wrong way down a small road near a mall around Saturday rush hour (6-8pm) to bypass the slow southerners.

Actually it was kind of fun. You see, North Carolina didn't receive the Model T until 2006, so they are still learning.

To reward myself I went and cooked a steak and shrimp dinner with mashed potatoes.

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Went outside.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Today, I turned wood on a lathe ...
Congratulations. Careful the bug doesn't bite you. It's said that a wood turner is someone who keeps a picture of their lathe and lathe tools in their wallet ... right there where the money used to be. :smile:

If you're interested in exotic woods (well, domestic too), check out

www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics

Student100
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Isn't taking them scarier?
I fear you may be right.

I didn't do anything scary today. Maybe later.

However, I was once attacked by a metal lathe. I had to get two stitches in my lower lip. Before it happened I had no fear of lathes whatever. I think you're better off starting out skittish and careful around them. Same goes for all power tools, and some house cats.

drizzle
Gold Member
Drove my car.

trollcast
Gold Member
Jumped off a 4ft high ledge to retrieve a kids helium balloon. Scared I was either going to not get the balloon and look like an idiot in front of a roomful of people and/or fall and break a leg.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Drove my car.
Probably the riskiest thing I do in an ordinary day :eek:.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Jumped off a 4ft high ledge to retrieve a kids helium balloon. Scared I was either going to not get the balloon and look like an idiot in front of a roomful of people and/or fall and break a leg.
So...did you get it?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I didn't do anything scary today. Maybe later.

However, I was once attacked by a metal lathe. I had to get two stitches in my lower lip. Before it happened I had no fear of lathes whatever. I think you're better off starting out skittish and careful around them. Same goes for all power tools, and some house cats.
Honestly I was extremely skittish. I've never seen a tool get thrown by a lathe but I'm familiar with the laws of physics.

Cats...well you take your chances and hope for the best. Problem is, I adore them and they know it.

trollcast
Gold Member
So...did you get it?
Yeah and I didn't faceplace into the floor or fall over when I landed either.

Borek
Mentor
Scariest thing so far was looking into the mirror. But it is just 10 a.m. on a slow Sunday.

256bits
Gold Member
so far, opened the fridge to see what`s living and growing in there.

Drank spoiled milk

Evo
Mentor
Got to agree, looking into the fridge is my scariest daily activity.

I am scared that I will see my mother again.
I am scared to lead my life without the Internet and I am afraid I will one lose all of PFers all at once.
Many of you sound to me very familiar and nice although I just never met you.

drizzle
Gold Member
Lol!

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK so today I tried to hollow out the inside of my bowl. YIKES! I kicked that bowl's butt yesterday, but today it won.

Bowl 1, Me 1.

You just wait, bowl. This isn't over!

A couple years ago I got into watching YouTubes of people turning stuff on pole lathes. This technology probably goes back to extremely ancient times, though the first lathes were more likely bow lathes. Anyway, I've always wanted to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
I didn't do anything scary today. :(

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A couple years ago I got into watching YouTubes of people turning stuff on pole lathes. This technology probably goes back to extremely ancient times, though the first lathes were more likely bow lathes. Anyway, I've always wanted to try it.

That was very enjoyable, thanks for posting it!

I made good progress this evening, I had more confidence and I was relaxed. But towards the end...I don't know what happened, I miscalculated the distance to the surface. I'm finding it's hard to really judge where the surface is when it's spinning. So I had what's called a "catch". The gouge dug in too hard, the tool jerked, and the bowl wedged loose from its chuck. It didn't fly, though, so I managed to turn the lathe off.

Everything was OK, the bowl had a deep "valley" but it was salvageable. And the tool didn't fly either...whew.

Last edited by a moderator:
drizzle
Gold Member
Tonight I wanted to take a right turn on a cross section, and ended up driving in the opposite way lane, once I noticed the yellow lines I swift to the right lane. If there were any car, I would've crash into it. The horror. :cry: