The Schwarzschild Metric: Part 1, GPS Satellites - Comments

In summary, the conversation discusses a new PF Insights post about the Schwarzschild Metric and GPS satellites. There is a minor correction of the spelling of Johannes Kepler's name. The conversation also mentions that the calculation for time dilation assumes the Earth is non-rotating, which can introduce other complications in correctly defining clock synchronization. As an additional problem for GR students, they are asked to add a term for Earth's rotation and show that it is of smaller magnitude compared to the main term in the equation. This will be added to the Insight post.
RUTA
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

The Schwarzschild Metric: Part 1, GPS Satellites
gps1.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• gps1.png
    gps1.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 820
Likes MVanti, Paul Colby, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a little remark. It is Johannes Kepler, not Keplar.

Nice Insight? I have one comment, though: it might be worth mentioning that in the calculation of ##\Delta \tau_R## (for the Earth observer), you are assuming the Earth is non-rotating. That turns out to be OK for the particular calculation you are doing because the time dilation correction due to this is roughly two orders of magnitude smaller than the effects you compute; but rotation also introduces other complications, such as correctly defining clock synchronization, which can't be ignored (the excellent Ashby paper you refer to goes into all this).

fresh_42 said:
Just a little remark. It is Johannes Kepler, not Keplar.

Haha, thnx, I fixed that!

PeterDonis said:
Nice Insight? I have one comment, though: it might be worth mentioning that in the calculation of ##\Delta \tau_R## (for the Earth observer), you are assuming the Earth is non-rotating. That turns out to be OK for the particular calculation you are doing because the time dilation correction due to this is roughly two orders of magnitude smaller than the effects you compute; but rotation also introduces other complications, such as correctly defining clock synchronization, which can't be ignored (the excellent Ashby paper you refer to goes into all this).

As an additional problem for my GR students, I have them add the ##-\frac{v^2}{c^2}## term to Eq(4) for the rotation of Earth and show that it’s of order ##10^{-12}## while the ##\frac{2M}{R}## term is of order ##10^{-9}##. I considered adding that equation to this Insight, since it’s just one more equation. Given your comment, I think I’ll do that :-)

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the Schwarzschild Metric?

The Schwarzschild Metric is a mathematical equation that describes the curvature of space-time around a non-rotating, uncharged, spherical mass. It is an important concept in general relativity and is used to understand the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as black holes.

2. How does the Schwarzschild Metric relate to GPS satellites?

GPS satellites use the principles of special and general relativity, including the Schwarzschild Metric, to accurately determine the position and time on Earth. The satellites are equipped with atomic clocks that are affected by both the Earth's gravity and the speed at which they are moving. The equations of the Schwarzschild Metric are used to make precise corrections for these effects, ensuring the accuracy of GPS technology.

3. What is the significance of the Schwarzschild Metric for space exploration?

The Schwarzschild Metric is crucial for understanding the effects of gravity on objects in space, particularly near massive objects like planets and stars. It is used in the planning and execution of space missions, as well as in the development of technologies like GPS and satellite communications. Additionally, the Schwarzschild Metric has played a key role in the study of black holes and the search for new planets and other celestial bodies.

4. Are there any limitations to the Schwarzschild Metric?

While the Schwarzschild Metric is a powerful tool for understanding gravity and space-time, it is only accurate for non-rotating, uncharged, spherically symmetric masses. In reality, many objects have more complex shapes and characteristics, so other equations, such as the Kerr Metric, may be needed to fully describe their behavior. Additionally, the Schwarzschild Metric breaks down in extreme gravitational conditions, such as inside a black hole.

5. How has the Schwarzschild Metric been confirmed experimentally?

The predictions of the Schwarzschild Metric have been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, including the bending of light around massive objects, the behavior of objects in orbit, and the precision of GPS technology. Additionally, the recent detection of gravitational waves, which are ripples in space-time predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, provides further evidence for the accuracy of the Schwarzschild Metric.