Why Do We Get Goosebumps When We're Excited?

• Thread starter aemla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, goosebumps are a physiological response to fear or cold, triggered by the release of stress hormones such as adrenaline. This response is now considered useless due to modern technology and civilization. However, adrenaline can also be released in situations of excitement, causing the same physical reaction. While adrenaline plays a role in causing goosebumps, other stress hormones may also contribute. The exact mechanism and triggers for this response are still not fully understood.
aemla
I understand that goosebumps are stimulated by fear and cold in order to trap air between hair to keep us warm and make us look more intimidating. Of course today this trait is useless due to technology and ordered civilization.

So adrenaline causes arrector pili muscle to contract and there fore causing the hair to point upwards. All this happens due to fear or cold.

But i do not understand why we get goosebumps when we get excited when an innovative idea pops in your mind.

Is there anything else that can trigger adrenaline?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think It's mostly related to the emotion of excitement, regardless of the nature of the activity that got you exited in the first place.

Could you be more specific? What kind of muscles or nerves are responsible for the emotion and therefore for the goosebumps?

The major physiologic triggers of adrenaline release center upon stresses, such as physical threat, excitement, noise, bright lights, and high ambient temperature. All of these stimuli are processed in the central nervous system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenalin#Mechanism_of_action

I wouldn't classify exitement as a "stress", since I think of stress in negative terms, but a persons body is probably taxed by it as much as any negative "stress".

I got it now, thanks.

Just like fear, excitement is a type of stress. During stress, stress hormone (adrenaline) is released causing goosebumps.
I have tendency to over-think things but this is quite simple.

aemla said:
I got it now, thanks.

Just like fear, excitement is a type of stress. During stress, stress hormone (adrenaline) is released causing goosebumps.
I have tendency to over-think things but this is quite simple.
Personally, I don't think adrenalin is the whole story due to the fact I don't get goosebumps from all types of exitement or fear, only certain kinds. I suspect there's some other autonomic factor(s) that contribute to piloerection, but I don't see that there's much about it on the web.

zoobyshoe said:
Personally, I don't think adrenalin is the whole story due to the fact I don't get goosebumps from all types of exitement or fear, only certain kinds. I suspect there's some other autonomic factor(s) that contribute to piloerection, but I don't see that there's much about it on the web.

I agree, it's not the whole story. There are other stress hormones such as glucagon, epinephrine (adrenaline), norepinephrine, cortisol, and growth hormone. In right situation enough adrenaline will be released to cause goosebumps due to its effects on the arrector pili muscle. But others times when not enough adrenaline is produced or other stress hormones are triggered you don't experience goosebumps.

That's how i picture it anyways.

What is "The Science of Goosebumps"?

"The Science of Goosebumps" is a term used to refer to the study of the physiological and psychological processes involved in the experience of goosebumps. This phenomenon, also known as piloerection, is characterized by the involuntary raising of hairs on the skin in response to various stimuli.

Why do we experience goosebumps?

Goosebumps are a reflexive response that evolved to help our ancestors survive in cold environments. When we are exposed to cold temperatures or experience fear or excitement, our body produces a hormone called adrenaline, which causes muscles at the base of each hair to contract, resulting in raised hairs on our skin.

What other factors can trigger goosebumps?

In addition to cold temperatures and strong emotions, goosebumps can also be triggered by certain sounds, smells, or memories. These triggers can vary from person to person and can also be influenced by cultural and personal experiences.

Do goosebumps serve any purpose in humans today?

While goosebumps may not serve the same purpose in modern humans as they did for our ancestors, some scientists believe that they may still have a role in social and emotional communication. They may also serve as a vestigial response to certain stimuli that no longer have the same significance as they did in the past.

Are there any health concerns associated with goosebumps?

In most cases, goosebumps are a normal and harmless physiological response. However, in rare cases, they may be a symptom of an underlying medical condition, such as an autoimmune disorder or a neurological disorder. If you experience frequent or unexplained goosebumps, it is best to consult a medical professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.