Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Science of Knowledge Management?

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    Although this "question" in the subject heading may seem somewhat academic at first sight, its consideration and reflection I believe is a very useful one for those wishing to be successful in their knowledge management (KM) activities or indeed their knowledge work.

Is knowledge management a science? How should we define it? These questions may look simple but are not so easy to answer for both individuals and the collective. How can we apply the scientific method in a constructive way to knowledge management activities such as successfully managing communities of practice, transforming community of practice activity to community of innovation activity, or building next generation IT systems for the more successful support of knowledge management activities such as organisational culture transformation, innovation, change management, collaboration, sustainable trust between stakeholders, and leadership transparency?

I spent time together with Marco Bettoni in Basel last week and he sent me a copy of a recent paper which discusses a radical constructivist approach to KM and also develops this thinking into useful practical guidance for both community managers, those developing IT support solutions for KM and in fact I believe anyone involved in KM, innovation, scientific discovery, informatics etc. I have blogged some commentary which includes using physics as a scientific method example and a download link to Marco Bettoni's paper at: (Link to blog removed by Moonbear)
    Hope you enjoy the read and I welcome comments and discussions!

best regards
    Barry Hardy
    (Personal contact information removed by Moonbear)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted