Is Inconsistency an Inherent Variable in Mathematics and Physics?

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
In summary, the conversation discusses the human tendency to search for consistency and constancy, even though both are rare in nature. The question is raised if we are trying to prove constancy where it may not exist. The idea of allowing for inconsistency in mathematical and physical equations is proposed, with the use of standard conditions and significant digits already being practiced in physics. The speaker also acknowledges their own mistake in always referring to physics in absolute terms.
scott_sieger
The search for constancy

Indeed human nature requires us to search for consistency and constancy.

However in mother nature as with human nature we see little constancy and even less of consistency.

Is it possible that we are trying to prove constancy where in fact there is none?

If I knew mathematics and physics as intimately as you guys, my first action would be to allow inconsistency to exist as an inherent variable.

Does this already exist in mathematics?

For example

One litre of water weighs how much?

The answer depends on so many variables, from local gravity to ambient temperature, minerals in the water, even the moon’s position would have an effect, etc etc.

So to say that a litre of water weighs “X” amount without allowing for unknown variables would be a mistake.

I feel this approach needs to be applied especially to the study of the very small where variations in constancy would have the greatest effect.

How do you guys feel about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever we talk about any property that can vary with local conditions, The practice is to use "standard" conditions.

For instance, 1 liter of water weighs 9.81274 Newtons at one standardg.

Water boils at 100°c at standard at 1 standard atmosphere.

Hydrogen gas has a listed density at standard temp and pressure (STP)

Etc.

So physics already has this well in hand.

In addition to standards we also use significant digits. So if we say something weighs (for example) 1.00 Newtons, that does not mean it is exactly 1 Newton, it means its 1 Newton plus or minus .01 Newtons.

hey Russ and others thanks.

I have realized my mistake in my approach to discussions.

I tend to always refer to physics in absolute terms.

it is exact or it aint sort of thing. My studies require this of me but this is no excuse for a failure to communicate properly.

thanks again

What is the concept of constancy?

The concept of constancy refers to the idea that certain properties or characteristics of objects or systems remain unchanged despite changes in external conditions or variables. It is a fundamental principle in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology.

Why is the search for constancy important in science?

The search for constancy is important in science because it allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of natural phenomena. By identifying and studying constants, scientists can create models and theories that can be used to explain and predict the outcomes of various experiments and observations.

What are some examples of constancy in science?

Some examples of constancy in science include the laws of thermodynamics, which describe the conservation of energy and mass in a closed system, and the periodic table of elements, which shows the constancy of the properties of different elements. Other examples include the speed of light, the acceleration due to gravity, and the genetic code of living organisms.

How do scientists determine if something is constant?

Scientists determine if something is constant by conducting experiments and observations under various conditions and analyzing the data to look for patterns and trends. If a property or characteristic remains unchanged despite changes in other variables, it can be considered constant. However, it is important to note that some constants may only hold true under certain conditions or within a specific range of values.

What are the challenges in achieving constancy in scientific experiments and observations?

One of the main challenges in achieving constancy in scientific experiments and observations is controlling and accounting for all possible variables. In many cases, it is difficult or even impossible to eliminate all external factors that can influence the outcome of an experiment. Additionally, some constants may only be true within a specific range of conditions, making it challenging to accurately determine their value. Furthermore, as technology and scientific knowledge advance, previously established constants may be challenged or revised.