The second question: Kinetic Friction

In summary, a person with a mass of 65.0 kg and a velocity of +4.06 m/s jumps onto a sled with a mass of 10.4 kg that is initially at rest. After the collision, the sled and person coast 30.0 m on level snow before coming to rest. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow, you can use the equation f = μmg, where f is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You can also use the kinematic equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as to calculate the acceleration. The work done by friction must be
nutster
A 65.0 kg person, running horizontally with a velocity of +4.06 m/s, jumps onto a 10.4 kg sled that is initially at rest.
(a) Ignoring the effects of friction during the collision, find the velocity of the sled and person as they move away.

Which I figured out was 3.5 m/s...now my question:

(b) The sled and person coast 30.0 m on level snow before coming to rest. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow?

Any suggestions on how to go about solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The work done by friction must be equal in magnitude to the kinetic energy of the sled-person system but opposite in sign for the object to be at rest after displacing 30m.

Knowing work is equal to [tex]Force \times Displacement[/tex] you can then solve for friction which then allows you to obtain the coefficent of kinetic friction.

How should I calculate the horizontal force, to be able to calculate F=ma? What is the acceleration?

The only horizontal force should be friction unless someone is pulling the sled-person system. Is it asking for an acceleration?

Not directly...you can see I'm lost here. I do well visualizing things with equations...maybe that'd help..?

nutster said:
What is the acceleration?

Thats exactly the question u should ask yourself.
Bring the three kinematic equations into your mind at this point.

-- AI

Don't worry about accelerations. You can if you want but it will make the problem more confusing to you I imagine. It is just an energy problem.

The thing to remember is that the [tex]f = (W \times {\Delta x}) = {\Delta KE}[/tex]

Also, remember [tex]f=\mu{mg}[/tex].

Ahh, there's my hangup...how do I calculate work, and is the quantity of dX just 30m?

gokugreene,
i too like nutster can't see what you are actually trying here?

Btw, nutster
you can use v^2 = u^2 + 2as to get acceleration since u have v,u and s
I suppose once u have 'a' , u know what to do

-- AI

Yes, the change in x is 30m.

Tenali, he is looking for the coefficient of kinetic friction.

You can find the coefficient of kinetic friction using the kinematic equations as Tenali suggested, but that isn't the way the problem is meant to be worked, but it will work.

Last edited:
nutster said:
Ahh, there's my hangup...how do I calculate work, and is the quantity of dX just 30m?

We use dX to represent a very small displacement. Work is the integral of the component of force in the direction of dX. In this problem, the force is the frictional force, and it is constant. That makes the integral very simple. The work is the constant force times the total distance the sled moves against that force, resulting in negative work done by friction on the sled.

gokugreene said:
Don't worry about accelerations. You can if you want but it will make the problem more confusing to you I imagine. It is just an energy problem.

The thing to remember is that the [tex]f = (W \times {\Delta x}) = {\Delta KE}[/tex]

Also, remember [tex]f=\mu{mg}[/tex].

You of course meant to say

[tex]W = (f \times {\Delta x}) = {\Delta KE}[/tex]

Yes, thanks for the correction!

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object when it is in motion. It occurs when two surfaces are in contact and moving relative to each other.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that acts when an object is in motion, while static friction is the force that acts when an object is at rest. Kinetic friction is typically less than static friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the normal force between the surfaces, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces.

4. How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction is typically measured using a force meter or a spring scale. The magnitude of the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant speed is equal to the force of kinetic friction.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces in contact, using smoother or more slippery materials, or by reducing the normal force between the surfaces.