Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Secret Life of Plants

1. Jun 30, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Plants

A very popular book back in the 1970s, have any papers been published that support the claims, and if so, have they been refuted?

I remember trying to read it but I couldn't make it all the way through.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2009 #2
    Is this like that movie with Wahlberg last year where the plants poisoned people.

4. Jun 30, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Happening? :biggrin:

Do we have any fans of The Day of the Triffids?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVXEA7_y344

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  5. Jul 1, 2009 #4
    I've always thought that if plants were sentient they would just be bored to death all the time. Luckily for plants I don't believe they really are. :)

6. Jul 1, 2009 #5
    Thee's a guy who shows up at the APS every year (I think) who talks about plants responding to stimulus and sending out N-waves (or somesuch).

7. Jul 1, 2009 #6

CEL

Are these the N-rays, supposedly discovered by Blondlot?
    http://www.skepdic.com/blondlot.html

8. Jul 1, 2009 #7
  9. Jul 1, 2009 #8

LURCH

Science Advisor

These discoveries only support the argument I have ahd against vegiterianism all along; it is wrong to eat plants! At least an animal could try to fight back, or run away.

Plants are living things, just like animals, but they are utterly helpless! And now we have discovered that they are sentient. I'm tellin' ya people; stop eating plants!

10. Jul 2, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did see this paper published in the Journal of Consciousness Studies, which is listed in the Thomson index. The paper was published in 1997, long after the book came out.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/imp/jcs/1997/00000004/00000003/760

11. Jul 15, 2009 #10
    I remember stumbling across this book back in high school while looking for botany material, I was so excited at first because I thought by "The Secret Life of Plants" it would be describing unique or strange plant species/biology. Oh, how disappointed I was; not to mention the fact that the librarians thought it wise to catalog the book in the botany section. :uhh:

12. Jul 17, 2009 #11
    Myth busters tried this out a while ago. If I remember, they got some strange results. They did the polygraph in a faraday cage and still got strange results. not sure how statistically significant it was though.

13. Jul 18, 2009 #12
    They couldn't replicate those results any more than that one time.

14. Jul 25, 2009 #13
    The hypocrisy of some vegetarians really bugs me. I love the ones who claim to not eat any meat. Never. Ever. Never any meat. Then they throw out "and sometimes fish".

Kinda like marijuana advocates claiming marijuana isn't addictive. Never. Never addictive. Not at all. And then "not physically addictive".

15. Jul 25, 2009 #14
    Emphasis mine.

Those four words pretty much sum of the value of that particular substantiation.

Psychics are pretty lucky in that, given that only they can communicate with astral beings and plants and whatnot, the rest of us can't verify by asking the being in question directly ourselves. It's a neat little arrangement, I figure.

16. Jul 25, 2009 #15
    I can talk to plants, too.

Very quiet, usually.

17. Jul 26, 2009 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without the ability to read the actual paper, to me that is not clear. I find it surprising that what is seemingly a reputable journal would publish a paper that is entirely dependent on the claims of "psychics". And it doesn't seem to be an analysis of such beliefs, rather a survey of the "field".

I realize that it sounds pretty flakey, but that's not enough to go on.

18. Jul 26, 2009 #17
    Ah, I see now. Okay, the blurb said that as a result of impetus created by new claims by psychics and etc. to explore the area further. Got it.

19. Jul 26, 2009 #18
    Anyone with the ability to speak can talk to plants. What's unknown is if they listen and can they respond.

20. Jul 27, 2009 #19
    Maybe they have better things to do than talk to somebody who sits around talking to plants. Just my 2 cents.

21. Jul 27, 2009 #20

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That reminds of the line from "Henry V"- "You say you can call spirits? Why, so can I or so can any man! But do the come when you do call them?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook