The Secret

• Thread starter Jonnyb42
  • Start date
Has anyone (here) ever tested the law of attraction?

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Remind me what exactly that is?

Supposedly if you think about something a lot, it will show up sometime.
Meaning if you imagine yourself very rich, you will become very rich.
Also if you dwell on negativities you will only suffer more, etc.
You also can do this for small things such as imagine an object and one day you'll see or have the object.
I'm going to try it and see what happens. I suspect the more pety it is, the quicker the result.
Why not!

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
How is this a "law"?

Maybe because it always works?
I don't know why it's called what it's called.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Maybe because it always works?
I don't know why it's called what it's called.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
How does this always work?

Edit: Missed your 2nd post, sorry.

Well my second post explained it, you can wiki it if you want details.
I was just suggesting it always works as an explanation for why it's referred to as a "law."

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Supposedly if you think about something a lot, it will show up sometime.
Meaning if you imagine yourself very rich, you will become very rich.
Also if you dwell on negativities you will only suffer more, etc.
You also can do this for small things such as imagine an object and one day you'll see or have the object.
I'm going to try it and see what happens. I suspect the more pety it is, the quicker the result.
Why not!

I've imagined myself creating a working fusion reactor at home. I can be pretty sure its not going to happen.

Some of this I can see being true, such as the thinking negative things. I have a friend who always thinks negative and I swear she has stuff happen to her simply because of the way she thinks. Meaning that she lets bad things happen to her, not that they just happen to her because.

Same thing for getting rich or something. Maybe that will drive you to become rich if you think about it all the time. But I'd say this is nowhere close to a "law" lol.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This seems to stem from PschoCybernetics

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0671700758/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have no comments on the veracity of this.

Ohhh, ok I see now. Yeah, I can see how this works. Its pretty much think positively and work at something and you will get it. Pretty much how most people succeed at whatever they want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems more like a magical themed version of the "power of positive thinking".

With the general idea being that if you have a positive outlook on life, you'll notice all the little things that go right. So you are less stressed out when you loose your keys and such, and less stressed out people work better towards their goals.

No idea if that sort of idea is researched....

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This seems more like a magical themed version of the "power of positive thinking".

With the general idea being that if you have a positive outlook on life, you'll notice all the little things that go right. So you are less stressed out when you loose your keys and such, and less stressed out people work better towards their goals.

I think it's something like that. I don't know very many successful people that got where they were by being unhappy all the time.

I watched the secret the other day, I think the pseudo-sciency bit is crap but the positive thinking bit is good: if you want something, keep thinking about it positively and you will start to see ways of making it happen, then put it into action.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It's not exactly a law or magic. A friend of mine believes in all this kind of stuff (much to my frustration) that the universe can magically bend itself to your will so that all your goals are achieved so long as you believe.

I would have thought that it was common sense that keeping a positive attitude and working towards something would on average increase the chances of you achieving it minus impossible goals such as learning to fly etc. Its hardly a 'law' or a 'secret' or the 'untapped power of the mind'

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It's not exactly a law or magic. A friend of mine believes in all this kind of stuff (much to my frustration) that the universe can magically bend itself to your will so that all your goals are achieved so long as you believe.

I would have thought that it was common sense that keeping a positive attitude and working towards something would on average increase the chances of you achieving it minus impossible goals such as learning to fly etc. Its hardly a 'law' or a 'secret' or the 'untapped power of the mind'

Agreed.

I agree as well but I was referring to the less general concept.
Although, that is probably for lunar ticks.

Last edited:
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yes, I meant to say lunar ticks.

Is that something I should worry about if my cats go to the moon?:tongue2:

Yeah, they're pretty nasty there.
Though, I believe the locals have domesticated them.

Imagine there's no heaven, hell, countries, religion, possesions, greed, or hunger. Then hope you don't get shot.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Imagine there's no heaven, hell, countries, religion, possesions, greed, or hunger. Then hope you don't get shot.

What?

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What?

Its a John Lennon quote, well the getting shot bit isnt

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Its a John Lennon quote, well the getting shot bit isnt

Ahh, ok.

Should be moved to S&D, imo. It's a bunch of Deepak Chopra drivel.

It looks like you won the chicken or egg contest. The Power of Positive Thinking came out in the 1950's. PsychoCybernetics was first published in the 1960's. Well done.

Last edited:

I always appreciate your pithy interjections, Jimmy--even if you do quote Lennon.