The self-exiting alternator, a tale of invention.

The motor will generate the necessary current and voltage on its own, without the need for an external source of power. This can be useful in certain applications, but may not be practical or cost-effective in others.
Tyger
I knew that if you drove a three phase induction motor attached to the line at above line frequency it would change from a motor to a generator. So one day it popped into my mind that if you put capacitors across the terminals of a three phase motor and drove it above the L-C resonant frequency, it should be self exiting. But for a long time I couldn't find a motor suitable for testing. Then one day I was in a surplus place and saw a little three phase 400Hz squirrel cage blower that would fit in you hand. I could hook it up the the vacuum cleaner and test my idea. I made a crude measurment of L and a back of the envelope (literally) calculation said about .1mfd for the capacitors. I hooked everything up, the first run didn't work, but when I took the bag out of the cleaner the speed went past critical and the voltage soared up to 210, pretty good for a 208 volt motor. Changing caps brought the voltage up to 300.

So the basic idea worked just fine, but on careful consideration I decided that it was of limited use. In most applications for alternators you want to closely regulate the speed and output voltage, which would be difficult to do in this case. Also the capacitors needed for a sizeable unit would be large and expensive. It might be useful in some wind driven battery charger applications where the rotor speed would tend to be regulated by operation of the alternator and the minimizing of moving parts would be important.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What does "self exiting" mean?

It means

Originally posted by russ_watters
What does "self exiting" mean?

that you don't need a field or excitation coil.

1. What is the self-exiting alternator?

The self-exiting alternator is a type of electrical generator that produces an alternating current (AC) through the transformation of mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is designed to be self-sustaining, meaning it can maintain its own magnetic field without the need for external power.

2. How does the self-exiting alternator work?

The self-exiting alternator works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. In simple terms, when a conductor (such as a wire) is moved through a magnetic field, it creates an electric current. The alternator uses this principle to convert the rotational energy of its rotor into AC electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using a self-exiting alternator?

One of the main benefits of using a self-exiting alternator is its ability to self-regulate. This means it can maintain a consistent output of electricity, even when the load (amount of electricity being used) changes. Additionally, self-exiting alternators are more efficient and reliable compared to traditional generators.

4. Who invented the self-exiting alternator?

The self-exiting alternator was invented by Nikola Tesla in the late 19th century. Tesla's design was later improved upon by other scientists and engineers, leading to the development of the modern self-exiting alternator we know today.

5. Where is the self-exiting alternator used?

The self-exiting alternator is commonly used in various applications, such as power plants, automobiles, and small-scale renewable energy systems. It is also used in everyday devices, such as electric motors, generators, and household appliances.