What is the relationship between a comet's velocity and the shape of its orbit?

In summary, a comet's orbit is determined by its velocity in following way. If the velocity is less than the square root of 2 (2GM/p), the comet orbits an ellipse; if greater than the square root of 2 (2GM/p), the comet orbits a hyperbola.
4everphysics
Hello.

I read from a calculus book (Larson) that
shape of comet's orbit is determined by its velocity in following way.

Ellipse if v < sqrt(2GM/p)
Parabola if v = sqrt(2GM/p)
Hyperbola if v > sqrt(2GM/p)
where p is the distance between one vertex and one focus of the comet's orbit.

I would like to understand how this is so.
Could you please help me? Thank you.

It must have something to do with gravitational force (GMm/r^2)
and (mv^2)/r,

but the way to approach it is not apparent to me.

Thank you.

Sincerely

Physics news on Phys.org
If the sum of the kinetic and potential energy is bigger than 0, the object can escape and you get a hyperbola, if it's smaller than you get an ellipse.

Potential energy is -mMG/r here, so it's zero at infinity.

Note that you can apply this formula at any point of its trajectory. It always compares kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) with the gravitational potential energy (-GMm/r) with the distance r between comet and star.

4everphysics said:
Ellipse if v < sqrt(2GM/p)
Parabola if v = sqrt(2GM/p)
Hyperbola if v > sqrt(2GM/p)
where p is the distance between one vertex and one focus of the comet's orbit.
These formulas only apply at the moment the comet is at a vertex (the sun would be at a focus). Normally escape velocity is based on distance from the object creating the gravitational field:

ve = sqrt(2GM/r)

where in this case, r is the distance between the sun and the comet.

Last edited:
Thank you for reminding me everyone, it has been long since I took my mechanics class.
Right, the escape velocity can be computed by

potential energy + kinetic energy = 0

which makes
v = sqrt(2GM/r).

But, what causes the difference between hyperbola and parabola?
When comet is moving at exactly escape velocity, why does its orbit look like parabola?
and look like hyperbola when it is moving at an even faster velocity?

Thank you.

The parabola is the "limit" of a hyperbola for an angle of 0 between the two asymptotes, and it is the "limit" of an ellipse for an eccentricity of 1.

This is easier to see if you look at them as conic sections.@rcgldr: As stated in my post, you have to use the distance between the two objects in the general case. In one vertex, this distance is equivalent to the distance between vertex and star, of course.
This neglects the mass of the comet - but if that should be taken into account, other planets are even more important and it gets messy.

After a bit of work, the gravitational inverse square force reduces to
[tex]r = \frac{p}{1+e\cos(\theta-\theta_0)}[/tex]
That's the equation for a conic section (a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola) with a focus at the origin.

1. What is the shape of a comet's orbit?

The shape of a comet's orbit is generally elliptical, meaning that it is elongated and not perfectly circular. However, the exact shape can vary depending on the comet's trajectory and interactions with other celestial bodies.

2. How does a comet's orbit differ from the orbit of a planet?

A comet's orbit is typically more elongated and tilted compared to the relatively circular and flat orbits of planets. Comets also have much longer orbital periods, ranging from several years to thousands of years, while planets have much shorter orbital periods around the sun.

3. What causes a comet's orbit to change?

A comet's orbit can change due to gravitational interactions with other objects in the solar system, such as planets or other comets. These interactions can alter the comet's trajectory and shape of its orbit over time.

4. How do scientists determine the shape of a comet's orbit?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the shape of a comet's orbit, including observations from telescopes, spacecraft, and mathematical calculations based on the comet's trajectory and gravitational interactions with other objects.

5. Can a comet's orbit change significantly over time?

Yes, a comet's orbit can change significantly over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions, outgassing, and collisions with other objects. This can result in changes in the shape, size, and orientation of the comet's orbit.