Could the Shape of the Universe be Explained by Black Holes and Supernovas?

In summary, a college student in New York has been reading about black holes and the formation of the universe. They propose that the energy that propelled the universe into being could be similar to what happens when a star dies and becomes a black hole. They also question if the point of singularity in a black hole has a maximum potential for matter absorption and if it could eventually reform a new star. The expert explains that the Big Bang should not be thought of as an explosion, but rather a period of rapid expansion of space. They also clarify that the size of a black hole has no maximum limit and that a quantum theory of gravity may be needed to study the universe after the Big Bang.
IanBeatbox
I'm a college student in New York and I've been doing some thinking lately. Although mathematics is unfortunately one of my weaker subjects, I was wondering what you all might think of this idea. I've been reading about black holes and looking at different ideas of what the universe may look like. But none I've found posit that they may look like an exploding supernova (e.g. sn1987a). If the Big Bang theory is accurate, then could it be that the energy that propelled the Universe into being was similar to what happens when a star dies and becomes a black hole? The outer rings of the supernova match the toroidal model of the universe, but maybe we are just in that outer ring and if so, there should be another ring opposite the point of singularity. In this instance, there could be other events like this occurring beyond the limit of our "Universe". Maybe our exploding 'giganto-super star' that formed these outer rings is just one of many other giganto-super stars in what is truly a universe beyond the scope of our imagination.
My knowledge of physics is very limited, and this question arises out of limited observations of other cosmological events.
Another question: In the documentary A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking explains that black holes do give off a form of radiation. Is it possible that the point of singularity has a maximum potential for the matter it can absorb? If so, would it eventually reach a critical level and reform a new star?
Thanks for your time

Space news on Phys.org
IanBeatbox said:
I'm a college student in New York and I've been doing some thinking lately. Although mathematics is unfortunately one of my weaker subjects, I was wondering what you all might think of this idea. I've been reading about black holes and looking at different ideas of what the universe may look like. But none I've found posit that they may look like an exploding supernova (e.g. sn1987a). If the Big Bang theory is accurate, then could it be that the energy that propelled the Universe into being was similar to what happens when a star dies and becomes a black hole? The outer rings of the supernova match the toroidal model of the universe, but maybe we are just in that outer ring and if so, there should be another ring opposite the point of singularity. In this instance, there could be other events like this occurring beyond the limit of our "Universe". Maybe our exploding 'giganto-super star' that formed these outer rings is just one of many other giganto-super stars in what is truly a universe beyond the scope of our imagination.
My knowledge of physics is very limited, and this question arises out of limited observations of other cosmological events.

I think the difficulty here comes from your analogy between the BB and a real, physical explosion. You should not think of the BB as an explosion at all, but rather as merely a rapid period of expansion of spacetime itself. There are a billion threads here explaining why you cannot think of the BB as expanding 'into' anything, but I think that's the crux of the issue here.
Another question: In the documentary A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking explains that black holes do give off a form of radiation. Is it possible that the point of singularity has a maximum potential for the matter it can absorb? If so, would it eventually reach a critical level and reform a new star?
Thanks for your time

Black holes do indeed emit radiation, aptly named Hawking Radiation. The power of this radiation is actually inversely proportional to mass though, so as a black hole absorbs more matter it actually radiates slower. So there is no maximum size for a black hole. You could perhaps suggest a minimal size, smaller than which the black hole would evaporate in shorter than a Planck time, as which point it doesn't make much sense to talk about it existing at all.

So no, a black hole will never form a new star.

Wow. Thank you for making that very clear and understandable. Do you know where I might find different models and theories of the shape of the universe?
Also, is it true that the math backing up these theories falters when it nears the beginning of space and time? What does that suggest?

The friedmann models are probably the most common and least complicated of all universe models: http://www.phys-astro.sonoma.edu/people/faculty/tenn/FriedmannModels.html [Broken] and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_Universe (only ones I could find without the math at this moment). I wouldn't say the math falters but rather GR falters when it encounters naked singularities such as the big bang (the only naked singularity we know of). It suggests that we need a quantum theory of gravity in order to actually study the universe directly after the big bang.

Last edited by a moderator:

I find your ideas and questions very interesting and thought-provoking. While it is always exciting to explore new theories and possibilities, it is important to approach them with a critical and scientific mindset.

Firstly, the shape of the universe is a complex and ongoing topic of study in cosmology. While black holes and supernovas certainly play a significant role in the formation and evolution of the universe, they are not the only factors at play. There are many other factors and phenomena that need to be considered in understanding the shape of the universe, such as dark matter and energy, cosmic inflation, and the overall curvature of space-time.

Regarding the idea that the energy of the Big Bang may be similar to that of a dying star, it is important to note that the energy released in a supernova is only a tiny fraction of the energy released in the Big Bang. The Big Bang was a massive and rapid expansion of the entire universe, while a supernova is a localized event in a single star. Additionally, the toroidal model of the universe is just one of many proposed models and is not widely accepted in the scientific community.

Your question about the potential for matter to reach a critical level and reform a new star is an intriguing one. While black holes do emit radiation, it is a very small amount and is not enough to create a new star. The matter that is absorbed by a black hole is compressed to a singularity, which has an infinite density and cannot be reformed into a star.

In conclusion, while your ideas and questions are thought-provoking, they need to be further explored and supported by scientific evidence before they can be considered as valid explanations for the shape of the universe. I encourage you to continue learning and exploring the fascinating world of cosmology, and perhaps one day your ideas may contribute to our understanding of the universe.

1. What is the shape of the universe?

The shape of the universe is a topic that has been debated by scientists for centuries. Currently, the prevailing theory is that the universe is flat, meaning that it has a Euclidean geometry where parallel lines never meet and the angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees.

2. How do scientists determine the shape of the universe?

Scientists use various methods to determine the shape of the universe, including studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, measuring the curvature of space, and observing the distribution of matter in the universe.

3. Is the universe infinite or finite in size?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as our current understanding of the universe is limited. Some theories suggest that the universe is infinite in size, while others propose that it is finite but unbounded, meaning that it has no edges or boundaries.

4. Can the shape of the universe change over time?

According to the laws of physics, the shape of the universe should remain constant. However, some theories propose that the shape of the universe could change over time due to the expansion of space or the effects of dark energy.

5. How does the shape of the universe affect our daily lives?

The shape of the universe has little direct impact on our daily lives. However, understanding the shape and structure of the universe can help us better understand the origins of the universe and our place within it.