The shot at the beginning of Wanted was it possible?

• Thread starter hellicopter1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginning
In summary: It would be quicker to list the things that could actually happen. Hollywood is hardly the bastion of scientific integrity.
hellicopter1
i'd like to know if the shot at the beginning of Wanted when the man shoots the other man from inside his house and kills the assisin on the roof is possible.. it seems that it was in the air way too long, was resisting gravity, and could no longer be considered a projectile because it looks as if it goes straight, rather than creating the parabola's arch that is necessary for projectiles.

also, if you can think of any examples in the media where the physics of something that happens aren't correct, let me know! it's fun to check things out like this when you know they've made mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
hellicopter1 said:
if you can think of any examples in the media where the physics of something that happens aren't correct

I think it would be more surprising to find something that is correct.

I've never seen the movie, but the trailer shown on TV shows stuff that is blatantly impossible, such as making a bullet curve by moving your arm while firing. All that would accomplish in reality is make you miss.

Danger said:
I've never seen the movie, but the trailer shown on TV shows stuff that is blatantly impossible, such as making a bullet curve by moving your arm while firing. All that would accomplish in reality is make you miss.

The shot the OP is referring to is a very long range rifle shot to the head from a heavily modified sniper rifle. I think the distance seemed to be several kilometers, but I don't remember what the path of the bullet showed by the movie was, except that it was not a "curve" shot.

I think the longest confirmed kill by a sniper rifle (at least in recent memory) is about 1.1 kilometers, by an Australian sniper in Afghanistan.

Animastryfe said:
I think the longest confirmed kill by a sniper rifle (at least in recent memory) is about 1.1 kilometers, by an Australian sniper in Afghanistan.

According to wiki longest kill is 2430 meters now - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong.

hellicopter1 said:
also, if you can think of any examples in the media where the physics of something that happens aren't correct, let me know! it's fun to check things out like this when you know they've made mistakes.

Like has already been mentioned...it would be quicker to list the things that could actually happen. Hollywood is hardly the bastion of scientific integrity.

BTW...helicopter

Borek said:
According to wiki longest kill is 2430 meters now - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong.

What a typo

Rob Furlong, a former corporal of the Canadian Forces, holds the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at 20,430 metres (20,657 yards, or 10.51 miles).

As for that movie, everything in it was utter BS. I'm surprised everyone didnt float around the entire movie or walk on walls like in the Matrix. Hell even the Matrix had better physics in it.

no that second one you posted was a typo, all the other references say 2430 metres

Yes, that was what I meant...

Pengwuino said:
What a typo

Rob Furlong, a former corporal of the Canadian Forces, holds the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at 20,430 metres (20,657 yards, or 10.51 miles).

Well, according to the wiki history page that was changed AFTER I have seen the page few hours ago. Whoever is using IP 71.49.153.26 and modified the page adding zeros is a stupid idiot, not worth of being called a human. Obviously some people find such vandalism interesting, probably it helps them keep their egos up.

Could be interesting to check if anyone of the PF users uses that IP, I suppose Mentors can do it. That would make this person looking rather sad in my eyes.

lol i thought so i guess i just associated it being directly under the first quote as meaning you thought the first was the typo.

1. Was the shot at the beginning of Wanted actually possible in real life?

The shot at the beginning of Wanted, where the bullet curves in mid-air to hit the target, is not possible to replicate in real life. The laws of physics do not allow for such a phenomenon to occur.

2. How did they make the shot at the beginning of Wanted look so realistic?

The shot was created using a combination of CGI and special effects. The actors were filmed separately and the bullet's trajectory was added in post-production.

3. Is it possible to curve a bullet by spinning it?

No, it is not possible to curve a bullet by spinning it. Bullets are designed to maintain a stable trajectory and do not have enough force to change direction in mid-air.

4. Are there any real-life examples of curving bullets?

No, there are no documented cases of curving bullets in real life. The concept is purely fictional and has not been achieved or observed in any real-world scenarios.

5. Can humans develop the ability to curve bullets like in Wanted?

No, it is not possible for humans to develop the ability to curve bullets like in Wanted. The physics and mechanics involved in such an action are not achievable by the human body.