Understanding the Simple Pendulum: Confusion in Lab and How to Solve It"

In summary, the conversation is about a lab assignment where the lab partners are confused about the calculations for the average period and T^2. The professor first told them to divide T^2 by 50, but later on said they should be dividing the average period by 50. The student is still unsure about the correct method and is wondering if they made a mistake in counting the oscillations.
MissMoon

Homework Statement

I was wondering if someone could help me with this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/SilverMoonStar/bn.jpg my lab prof doesn't speak english well and left my lab partners and I slightly confused.

For the second column we did the average of 70.1 + 69 + 69 and got 69.3 as the average period. for the 3rd column T2 will squared 69.3 and got 4.802.49.

Now this is were the confusion comes in the prof came over and told one of my partners we had to divide the T2 by 50, so we divided the 4.802.49 by 50 and got 96.0498.

At the end of class we have to get the lab signed at this point he says everything is wrong and we were supposed to divide the average period by 50.

So now I'm very confused I went home and did the chart several tmes and I don't think I'm getting the answer I should be, I'm not sure if it's human error and we counted the oscillations wrong or we miss understood him

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you measured the time for 50 periods, it makes sense that you will need to divide the measured number by 50. Put some thought into what you have and what you need. Your data yields a resonable result, with some error.

Okay so you do divde the average period by 50? because like I said at first he told us to divide the Tsquared by 50 and everyone spent the entire lab doing this then at the end he tells us something else.

Thanks for the help

It took 70.1s, 69s, and 69s to do 50 oscillations. So how much time did it take, on average, to do one oscillation? All you wrote down is the average time for 50 periods.

Then you put the square of that result into the [tex]T^{2}[/tex] column.

We got 69.36 as the average and we squared it and got 4.810.8096 when he came around and looked at what we did he told us to divde the 4.810.8096 by 50 and we got 96.21.

At the end of the class where he signed our papers he told us it was wrong and that we were suppose to divide the 69.36 by 50 and that's were everyone got confused and since it was the end of class we couldn't get into it

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. The weight is free to swing back and forth in a regular motion, known as its period.

2. What causes confusion in lab when studying the simple pendulum?

The most common cause of confusion in lab when studying the simple pendulum is the misunderstanding of the variables involved, such as the length of the string, the mass of the weight, and the angle of release.

3. How can we solve confusion in lab when studying the simple pendulum?

To solve confusion in lab, it is important to clearly understand the variables involved and their relationships. It is also helpful to carefully measure and record the variables and to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure accuracy.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

5. How does the length of the string affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The length of the string has a direct relationship with the period of a simple pendulum. As the length of the string increases, the period also increases. This means that a longer string will result in a longer swing time for the pendulum.