The Simplest Eigenfunction for Schrödinger's Wave EQ?

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the simplest equation that satisfies Schrödinger's Wave Equation and its relevance to reality. The participants discuss the function $$Ae^{x}$$ and its limitations, as well as the time independent Schrodinger equation for a particle in potential V(x)=0. They also touch upon the concept of energy eigenstates and constructing wave packets for unbound particles. The conversation ends with a helpful resource for further understanding.
kq6up
I am just getting into quantum after a long absence of working on modern physics. I am having a go at "Introduction to Modern Physics" by Griffiths

What is the simplest equation that satisfies Schrödinger's Wave Equation. It looks like $$Ae^{x}$$ would do the trick, but it would not solve the boundary conditions of being zero at +/- ∞. So would $$Ae^{-|x|}$$ be the simplest? If it is, does it correspond to anything in reality?

Sorry for the possibly lame question,

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
That function is not differentiable at x=0, there's a kink, so that particle would have undefined momentum at x=0.

Also, that function is NOT an eigenfunction of the time independent Schrodinger equation for any common potentials V(x). Which potential are you trying to solve?

Yes, this is true (the discontinuity). I was thinking that might be a problem. I was musing on what possible different solutions would it have for a free particle, so V=0. Does the function always have to be complex? I was also thinking of the time independent version of the equation.

Edit: I would imagine that if the answer is "it has to be complex", it does make sense to me as far as where the "wavyness" comes from (specifically, the function goes to zero on both extremes).

Chris

Last edited:
The time independent Schrodinger equation for a particle in potential V(x)=0 is:

$$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial^2 x}\psi=E\psi$$

Solving this eigenvalue equation, you should get that the eigen-functions are:

$$\psi(x)=Ae^{ix\sqrt{2mE}/\hbar}+Be^{-ix\sqrt{2mE}/\hbar}$$

These are sinusoidal. Making the identification ##p=\sqrt{2mE}## gives the usual:

$$\psi(x)=Ae^{ip\cdot x/\hbar}+Be^{-ip\cdot x/\hbar}$$Notice however, that these eigenfunctions are not square-integrable.

Matterwave said:
Notice however, that these eigenfunctions are not square-integrable.

Do you mean that it is not $$|\Psi|^2$$ (mod squared) friendly? Could not one, just pick the first or the second term?

Chris

Let's just take the positive solution:

$$|\psi|^2=|A|^2$$

This is just a number, so when integrated over all ##x## I will get infinity:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\psi|^2 dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|A|^2 dx=\infty$$

This is a purely oscillatory function, it does not go to 0 as x goes to plus/minus infinity.

Matterwave said:
Let's just take the positive solution:

$$|\psi|^2=|A|^2$$

This is just a number, so when integrated over all ##x## I will get infinity:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\psi|^2 dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|A|^2 dx=\infty$$

This is a purely oscillatory function, it does not go to 0 as x goes to plus/minus infinity.

Very true! Learning I am :D

Chris

The point I was trying to make is that the eigenfunctions of the free Hamiltonian are not normalizable. As such, they are not, strictly speaking, part of the Hilbert space.

Is that because the particle is unbound, so that it in essence can be anywhere? That would mean the one could know the momentum precisely. No?

Chris

kq6up said:
Is that because the particle is unbound, so that it in essence can be anywhere? That would mean the one could know the momentum precisely. No?

Chris

This means that one should always construct wave-packets.

Given an unbound particle, it's energy will take on a continuum of values. Knowing the energy exactly is impossible as there is always uncertainty involved with any experiment. So particles are never physically in an energy eigenstate. But we can use the eigenstates to construct wave packets that DO represent physical particles. In some applications we might use an energy eigenfunction for simplicity, but we should be aware of the simplification we are making.

Likes 1 person
Thank, you. This little write up explains the concept nicely. I have a vague familiarity with the Fourier transform mathematically, but a fairly solid understanding of it conceptually.

Here is the article:
http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bds10/aqp/handout_1d.pdf

Thanks,
Chris

1. What is Schrödinger's Wave Equation?

Schrödinger's Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes how quantum mechanical systems, such as atoms and molecules, evolve over time. It is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function that, when operated on by a mathematical operator, returns a scaled version of itself. In the context of Schrödinger's Wave Equation, eigenfunctions represent the possible states of a quantum system.

3. What is the simplest eigenfunction for Schrödinger's Wave Equation?

The simplest eigenfunction for Schrödinger's Wave Equation is the ground state, or the lowest energy state, of a system. It is represented by a wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular location.

4. How is the simplest eigenfunction for Schrödinger's Wave Equation determined?

The simplest eigenfunction is determined by solving Schrödinger's Wave Equation for the ground state energy of a system. This is typically done using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or approximation methods.

5. What is the significance of the simplest eigenfunction for Schrödinger's Wave Equation?

The simplest eigenfunction, or ground state, represents the most stable and lowest energy state of a quantum system. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it allows for the calculation of other properties, such as energy levels and transition probabilities, for a given system.