1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The simplest formula for conduction current,displacement current and loss tangent

1. Feb 27, 2005 #1
    Apparently my lecturer has given me this type of quest and i really have no idea how to do this quest..anyone know the formula for conduction current..displacement current and loss tangent..plz give me brief idea how to do it...what i know is that for displacement current i have to differentiation..but how??plzzz help meeee :cry:

A parallel plate capacitor consists of two metal plates, of area 2 cm2, separated by 3 µm of porcelain with єr =5.7 and =2 X 10-13 Sm-1. The capacitor is connected to a 12 volt 50 Hz supply. Determine the conduction current, and compare it to the displacement current. In addition, calculate the loss tangent at frequencies of 50 Hz, 1 MHz, and 100 MHz

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2005 #2
    The conduction current is [tex]I =C * \frac {dV}{dt}[/tex]

You know how V varies with respect to t. You will need to find C, which is not that difficult.

The displacement current D can be calculated from

[tex]\frac{\partial D}{\partial t} = - \frac{\epsilon}{w} * \frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]
    w is the distance between the condensatorplates. Keep in mind that there is porcelain between the plates.

I am not too sure what you mean by loss tangent, but i think this is a language problem :) ???

marlon

ps : this is just a general overview to get you started on this one. I am not allowed to give too much info for the obvious reason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?