Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Simpsons

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    What do you think about "The Simpsons"?
    Do you like it?
    Is it OK when children watch it?
    Is it stupid humor or "erudite cultural phenomenon"?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Simpsons are great, but lately its been like beating a dead horse [​IMG]

I think its time to wrap it up.. by .. KILLING HOMER!
  4. Jun 30, 2005 #3
    What the???? Kill Homer, this is not South Park, you don't just kill main characters.... :surprised

Besides I think the Simpsons are getting their second wind.

Long live the Simpsons
  5. Jun 30, 2005 #4
    I havn't seen any of the new episodes, but the old ones are simply brilliant. Brilliantly hysterical.
  6. Jun 30, 2005 #5
    Yes the olds one are absolute classics. I agree with cronxeh too: I think the simpsons should have ended about 2 years ago. However, I also think that an episode gets better the more you watch it, which may be why the classics are classics.
  7. Jun 30, 2005 #6
    kids shouldn't watch too much tv anyways. and when they do it should be with their parents so they don't do retarded things later...

And anyway, LOVE the simpsons, whatched it ever since i was a young'un. i liked when comic collector guy a few seasons ago in some episode was talking about how the show was starting to suck. and how the plots made no sense.. and blah blah... "worst episode ever!" i thought that was great...
  8. Jun 30, 2005 #7
    I guess the Simpsons were like the family I never really had, perhaps an unconscious ideal to look up to considering that my family fragmented early on in my life. When I watched it when I was younger, the show was funny (as it still is today)... but not until now that I rewatch older episodes did I realize how much of a political and social satire the entire series is. The newer ones are a little on the stale side, but it has its good points.

BTW, I have noticed similar things with Family Guy and :yuck: American Dad.... the latter being so blatantly obvious it might as well be a twisted version of political shows like the O'Reilly factor or the McLaughlin Group.

I'm running out of time to watch TV anyway with college becoming a primary imperative. At least NOVA is still cool :smile:.
  9. Jun 30, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Best series ever!
  10. Jun 30, 2005 #9
    suitable for anyone 2+ my niece loves that show...it hasn't done her harm so far
  11. Jun 30, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hooray for the Simpsons! :approve:

Say, who around here has a long enough tenure at PF to remember the old thread called "The Simpsons" wherein we all posted our favorite quotes? That is, we posted them until Fox made us stop. :frown: Lousy copyright laws. :mad:
  12. Jun 30, 2005 #11

Homework Helper

Simpsons is a great show. But I think Futurama is better.
  13. Jun 30, 2005 #12
    Hurray! Me too!
  14. Jun 30, 2005 #13
    Tom: Fox can do that? make you stop posting quotes?
  15. Jun 30, 2005 #14
    No, they can't. It was probably a reference to something in that thread.
  16. Jun 30, 2005 #15

Staff: Mentor

Actually they can. I have even pulled up searches on Google where there was a disclaimer that said that that they had to delete a link to a website because they were threatened with legal action unless they removed the link because the website contained copyrighted material without authorization.

If we allowed copyrighted material to be posted here and someone complained to google, they could be forced to remove any links to us. (as crazy as that sounds)
  17. Jun 30, 2005 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's lame that you can't even post quotes when you're clearly attributing the quote to the show. You'd think they'd consider it free advertising. :rolleyes:

But I do like the Simpsons! :biggrin:
  18. Jun 30, 2005 #17

Staff: Mentor

My favorites are the Simpsons Halloween marathons. :approve:
  19. Jul 1, 2005 #18
    By the way, there is a very pleasant evil Bob (i remember someone having question about it) in many episodes. :wink:
  20. Jul 1, 2005 #19
    I thought you didn't care for the slapschtick type humor? :tongue:

I liked the Simpsons. I also like Futurama and some of the episodes of Family Guy. My favorite cartoons don't exist anymore though. :frown:
  21. Jul 1, 2005 #20
    The Simpsons is great on a lot of different levels. There is often jokes that are targeted at the adult population while children are distracted by the cartoon slap-stick that's going on.

What I do find funny however is where this thread is :)

1. SR question about clock comparisons
    2. The Simpsons
    3. Autonomous differential equations

Where else would you get that thread sandwich?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?