The Simpsons: Is it OK for Kids?

• Thread starter Yegor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary: KILLING HOMER!In summary, the Simpsons are great, but lately its been like beating a dead horse. I think its time to wrap it up.. by .. KILLING HOMER!
Evo said:
Yeah, the credits are funny.

Ok, I've got to watch some more Simpsons.
I have to call my friends who have all the episodes on DVD and spend more time with those DVDs! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Homer Goes to College -- I imagine that's the one where Homer had to take Nuclear Physics 101, and met the three nerds. "Nerds are my mortal enemy!" (Or something like that -- I can't remember it for sure)

The Devil & Homer Simpson is the episode where Homer sold his soul to the devil (Ned Flanders) for a donut. "Mmmm, forbidden donut!"

Nightmare at 4 1/2 Feet was the episode where bart kept seeing a monster on the side of the bus, taking it apart. "Otto, there's a gremlin on the side of the bus!" Of course, as in the twilight zone episode, nobody else saw it when they looked.

Count Burns is the episode where Mr. Burns was a vampire, but Marge was the head vampire. (She do have a life outside of the home, y'know)

I can't guess the others from the titles.

Moonbear said:
I have to call my friends who have all the episodes on DVD and spend more time with those DVDs! :biggrin:

but not the friends who own them... people who own lots of tv shows on dvd are WEIRD! [size=small] though i'd really really like to get a few seasons of Xena![/size]

Gale17 said:
but not the friends who own them... people who own lots of tv shows on dvd are WEIRD! [size=small] though i'd really really like to get a few seasons of Xena![/size]
:rofl: I wondered if anyone would catch that. Yeah, they're hopeless geeks, so that's why they own all those DVDs (the other complete collection is Stargate...as long as I don't slip and let them get onto that topic, they're okay).

I like Xena, Warrior Princess. :redface: You've got to love that yell. :tongue2:

I like the movie "Stargate", but I could never get into the tv series.

hahaha... did anyone notice my little size error... WHOOPS!

but i love the warrior princess! when i grow up, I'm going to be Xena :approve:

Gale17 said:
hahaha... did anyone notice my little size error... WHOOPS!

but i love the warrior princess! when i grow up, I'm going to be Xena :approve:
You'd make a great Xena! :approve: Of course Gabrielle with that staff isn't shabby either. :biggrin:

Evo said:
You'd make a great Xena! :approve: Of course Gabrielle with that staff isn't shabby either. :biggrin:
I liked her better myself. Odd since I don't usually go for blondes. :tongue:

i'm a big Gabrielle fan too... she'll make an excellent, (and hot) sidekick when i become Xena. if i could chose, i'd probably rather be a Gabrielle... but I'm just too brunette... that's ok... Xena kicks some hard core assage...

The problem with being Xena is that Xena doesn't fly. :tongue2:

I liked Gabrielle better too.

I thought the Stargate series was pretty good. I don't think I've managed to see the movie yet!

Hurkyl said:
The problem with being Xena is that Xena doesn't fly. :tongue2:

BUT LUCY LAWLESS DOES! WOOT!

oh and hey, you know what? i have the simpsons trivia game... good times

Hurkyl said:
I thought the Stargate series was pretty good. I don't think I've managed to see the movie yet!
I haven't seen the movie either. I used to like the series, but it's only on late at night on weird nights on network TV, so I could never be a regular watcher of it (I have not found any show yet worth paying the exhorbitant fees they charge for cable around here). Even though it's good, it's still not something that I'd get all fanatic about.

Hurkyl said:
I liked Gabrielle better too.
Gabrielle is both cute and hot! :tongue2: Uhm, from a male perspective. :redface:

The movie was 10 times better, at least. SEE THE FREEKING MOVIE. The series premise holds pretty true to the movie, so seeing the series won't hurt seeing the movie. But, the movie "is" better. The actor cast as the alien is very good, very creepy. James Spader is HOT. He's not hot anymore. :frown:

Ooh, Simpson's trivia! So, if I told you one of my favorite episodes involved Project Arcturus, you'd know which one it is? :smile:

Gabrielle is both cute and hot!

Yes, she's cute. But the main thing is that I didn't really find Xena attractive, and she's not exactly a likable character (though fun to watch in a fight!). And that Gabrielle's cute.

Hurkyl said:
But the main thing is that I didn't really find Xena attractive.
I agree. Though it seems Lucy Lawless looks much better when she's not Xena.

And Moonbear, the StarGate Movie is definitely better than the series. The series is like a B-rated version of the movie. And it has Richard Dean Anderson!
Good way to circle back to the Simpsons there. :wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
And Moonbear, the StarGate Movie is definitely better than the series.
Alright, I'll have to watch the movie. I didn't even know there was a movie before. :redface:
The series is like a B-rated version of the movie. And it has Richard Dean Anderson!
That's what got me watching it. I was flipping channels one night, and I saw MacGuyver on the show, so stopped flipping long enough to find out what it was. :biggrin:

Are there people who find Xena attractive? She seems rather scary to me, but I don't know if testosterone makes her look better. I'd have to agree that Gabrielle is cute. I don't know if that translates to "HOT!" :rofl: ...again, I think having testosterone might influence that perspective, but she does seem like the cute, perky type that a lot of guys like.

Hurkyl said:
Ooh, Simpson's trivia! So, if I told you one of my favorite episodes involved Project Arcturus, you'd know which one it is? :smile:
Yes, I would. :tongue:

Hurkyl said:
Yes, she's cute. But the main thing is that I didn't really find Xena attractive, and she's not exactly a likable character (though fun to watch in a fight!). And that Gabrielle's cute.
Gabrielle was OK, but Willow was the cutest sidekick of all time. :approve:

Gabrielle was OK, but Willow was the cutest sidekick of all time.
I've only seen a few snips of it but isn't she from Buffy? The redhead? I have quite a soft spot for redheads.

Hurkyl said:
? Homer gets a new job, and they move to a new town. His boss has a red beard, building a huge drill or some kind of weapon. Homer does no work- maybe kills a few people on his way out. Marge drinks wine all day, Lisa is allergic to everything, etc. The family is miserable, they move back to Springfield. Is that it?

it isn't a drill...it's a WMD...

yourdadonapogostick said:
it isn't a drill...it's a WMD...
Heh, I think I was thinking of Austin Powers. Dr. Evil built a huge drill, right? :uhh: I know I saw someone somewhere building a huge drill. :yuck:

i thought that was a laser..."why don't you and the 'laser' get a room?"

I'm pretty sure it was more laser-like. After all, he was going to target France with it. (Nobody ever says Italy)

I think Dr. Evil had a drill in the first one. He had a "laser" in the second, though. (Or something like that)

Willow was cute at first, but her appeal diminished as the series went on, IMHO. (She didn't have red hair at the beginning, right? Or am I misremembering?)

Hurkyl said:
Willow was cute at first, but her appeal diminished as the series went on, IMHO. (She didn't have red hair at the beginning, right? Or am I misremembering?)
I don't think she had red hair in the beginning. I think it was more of a light brown or dirty blonde. But that was a long time ago. Hmm...did her appeal diminish when the guys found out she's lesbian? Talk about a cliche/stereotyped character, a lesbian witch. Geez, they surely could have come up with something more creative than that. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
That particular episode "The Devil & Homer Simpson" wasn't written by Conan. (sticks tongue out)

Touche.

[entrapment]
But that monorail episode was pretty funny, wasn't it?
[/entrapment]

Tom Mattson said:
Touche.

[entrapment]
But that monorail episode was pretty funny, wasn't it?
[/entrapment]
Yes, I admit that I have seen some of the episodes written by Conan and they were funny.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've only seen a few snips of it but isn't she from Buffy? The redhead? I have quite a soft spot for redheads.
Yes, her name is Alyson Hannigan. I mean, c'mon, how could any guy not be taken in by that goofy smile?

http://www.jma2001.com/alyson.jpg

I was never a big Buffy fan, to tell the truth, but I always thought Willow was cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
jma2001 said:
Yes, her name is Alyson Hannigan. I mean, c'mon, how could any guy not be taken in by that goofy smile?

This one time...at band camp... :biggrin:

tv is a sad waste of time. my mom tried everything to lose weight. it wasnt until she unplugged the tv that she finally did. our family got closer too. we did more talking and just hanging out. count up the hours you spend watching tv in a month and imagine what you could accomplish in that time. don't get me wrong, sometimes I just want to be a vegetable and watch some television, but to be honest I don't think children should watch the simpsons. I've seen some of it, and it seems like an adult kind of show. by children I mean old enough to understand, but too young to be exposed. kids are so disrespectful these days. they swear and are violent and sometimes sexual. I am not blaming television, but there really isn't muh we arent exposed to on tv. it baffles me when I look at society and consider how conditioned we are to images of violence and sexuality. its like seeing someone get shot or stabbed or raped doesn't even bother us any more, in fact, on shows like the simpsons we can dismiss it and laugh at it.

The Simpsons is probably the best series I've ever seen. I watched it throughout my early childhood. I saw a few episodes after an ~5 year lapse and now I realize how much underlying humor is there. No favorite episode, really. Also, I'm looking for the DVDs (and the money to buy them).

I liked Xena too. My favorite episode was when she had to keep reliving this one day over and over again until she could fix some girl's problem.

I don't watch television anymore, so any new episodes are unknown to me (ie, anything <2 years old).