Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The sins of bottled water drinkers

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.californiaaggie.com/article/?id=11167

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

First im evil for eating too much

Now i eat healthy and am still evil? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I can't win!!!

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Save your soul: Recycle :biggrin:

5. Nov 3, 2005 #4
    those bottles also give you cancer!

6. Nov 3, 2005 #5
    I have two 500ml water bottles that I have had for well over a year. I distill water from the tap at home, with a Polar Bear water distiller. Just fill one of the bottles up and I am good till I get back home.

I'm amazed that they have lasted that long though, without getting cracked or whatever.

7. Nov 3, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm amazed that my university does not have a recycling program... but of course, we have art exhibits, half a million clubs and organizations, new buildings going up, new programs, a huge as hell gym (aka "student recreation center" thats entirely seperate from the actual sports gyms on campus for the university sports teams) all student funded....

but no recycling program.

8. Nov 3, 2005 #7

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not a big bottled water drinker, but I always recycle those bottles. Not only is there no ambiguity about their recyclability (unlike my junkmail), but you don't even need to wash them out. A free and easy sense of self-righteousness...yay!

9. Nov 3, 2005 #8
    i recycle mine too... they give you cancer if you reuse them too often... CANCER!!

10. Nov 3, 2005 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack, not cancer!

Oh wait, I drink my water out of a plastic soda bottle instead of a plastic water bottle! I'm safe! Right?

11. Nov 3, 2005 #10
    uhhh...hehe...I was not aware of that. :bugeye:

Can you direct me to any reliable source to confirm that info?

12. Nov 3, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have the same view, though they don't do recycling where I live...if I want to recycle, I have to cart everything myself to a recycling center. :yuck: I like just putting the recycling out at the curb next to the regular trash every week, not saving it up and lugging it to some recycling center where I'll probably have to sort it all out too. Who has time for that? Better to just not drink so much bottled water (I actually only take it with me to the farm because the water there tastes funny and I do need to drink a lot of water when working there, but I refill the bottles with regular tap water from home).

Gale, I don't think there's any cancer risk unless you microwave the plastic. I think this came up in a thread in biology a while ago...either that, or you'd have to actually eat the bottles, or something like that.

13. Nov 3, 2005 #12
    i probably can... but will i?? dun dun dun... thats a whole 'nother ball game!

uh ya..

actually just google Nalgene and Cancer, and there's tons of articles on it. i dunno which one would interest you most. apparently there's loads of health risks, especially if you wash them. thats for hard plastic at least. soft plastic has bacteria? mostly its just fun to say things cause CANCER!!

14. Nov 3, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Gale, the internet is not reliable :P

15. Nov 3, 2005 #14

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard you cause cancer.

16. Nov 3, 2005 #15
    YOU'RE NOT RELIABLE!!

and apparently its the polycarbonate in the bottles that increases likelihood of cancer when it breaks down after long time use? because it releases the chemical Bisphenol A into your water. and this potentially causes brain damage and cancer...

and ya, moonbear, i think i first heard about it in the bio thread. but california apparently considered banning the use of hard plastics in childrens toys due to this? i'm just regurgitating now. there are health studies about it if people are interested.

Also, while googling about hard plastics... i read that its potentially more detrimental to the environment to try and recycle all the plastic we consume from bottles than it is to just trash them? dunno..

17. Nov 3, 2005 #16
    that doesn't even dignify a response....

18. Nov 3, 2005 #17
    a little research I just did shows that LDPE, the material that my bottles are made from, are safe for direct contact with food/water.

Phew.

19. Nov 3, 2005 #18

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can see that...

20. Nov 3, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well Gale sure isnt winning the humor ribbon this year

21. Nov 3, 2005 #20
    You know what?!!?? here i was saving the world... and you and spacetiger are just being meany stupid heads!! see if i try to save you from cancer again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?