Solving Math Problem: Why is m=2, not 1?

• Thread starter hidemi
  • Start date
In summary, the correct value for m is 1, not 2, and the correct equation is mλ/(2d)=0.05, which gives an answer of θ=2.9º. The incorrect use of d = 3*10^-9m instead of d = 0.3*10^-9m led to the incorrect answer of θ=29. It is important to check equations and units carefully to avoid making errors in calculations.
hidemi
Homework Statement
An x-ray beam of wavelength 3 x~ 10^−11 m is incident on a calcite crystal of lattice spacing 0.3 nm. The smallest angle between crystal planes and the x-ray beam which will result in constructive interference is:

A. 2.9◦
B. 5.7◦
C. 12◦
D. 23◦
E. none of these

The answer is A

2 d sinθ = m λ

2x0.3x10^-9 sinθ = 2.3 x 10^-11

However, why is the m=2 ?
Relevant Equations
2 d sinθ = m λ
I calculate by :
2 *3*10^−9* sinθ = 1 * 3 *10^−11
but can not get a correct answer.

If I substitute the m by 2:
2 *3 *10^−9 * sinθ = 2* 3 * 10^−11
then the answer : θ=29 is correct

I wonder why the m is 2 not 1. Could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
hidemi said:
I calculate by :
2 *3*10^−9* sinθ = 1 * 3 *10^−11
but can not get a correct answer.

If I substitute the m by 2:
2 *3 *10^−9 * sinθ = 2* 3 * 10^−11
then the answer : θ=29 is correct

I wonder why the m is 2 not 1. Could someone help me?
You have used d = 3*10^-9m instead of d = 0.3*10^-9 m.

And (when using m=2) your equation "2 *3 *10^−9 * sinθ = 2* 3 * 10^−11" gives θ = 0.57º, not "θ=29". So you are making some arithmetic error as well (incorrect use of brackets on calculator?).

With m=1:
mλ/(2d) = 1 * 3*10⁻¹¹ / (2 * 0.3*10⁻⁹) = 0.05
θ = sin⁻¹(mλ/(2d)) = sin⁻¹(0.05) = 2.9º (Answer A).

Likes hidemi
Steve4Physics said:
You have used d = 3*10^-9m instead of d = 0.3*10^-9 m.

And (when using m=2) your equation "2 *3 *10^−9 * sinθ = 2* 3 * 10^−11" gives θ = 0.57º, not "θ=29". So you are making some arithmetic error as well (incorrect use of brackets on calculator?).

With m=1:
mλ/(2d) = 1 * 3*10⁻¹¹ / (2 * 0.3*10⁻⁹) = 0.05
θ = sin⁻¹(mλ/(2d)) = sin⁻¹(0.05) = 2.9º (Answer A).
Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

1. Why is m=2 and not 1?

There are a few reasons why m=2 instead of 1 in a math problem. One possible explanation is that the problem may involve a system of equations, where m=2 is the solution that satisfies all the equations. Another reason could be that m=1 may not be a valid solution in the context of the problem, such as when dealing with real-world quantities that cannot have a value of 1. It is also possible that the problem has been specifically designed to have a solution of m=2.

2. How do you know that m=2 is the correct answer?

The answer m=2 is not always the correct answer for every math problem. It depends on the specific problem and its constraints. However, in most cases, the solution is found by using mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods are used to manipulate the equations and find the value of m that satisfies all of them.

3. Can m be any other number besides 2 or 1?

Yes, m can be any real number, depending on the problem. In some cases, the solution may be a decimal or a fraction. It is also possible for m to be a negative number or a variable, depending on the context of the problem. The value of m is determined by the equations and the constraints of the problem.

4. Why is it important to solve for m?

Solving for m is important because it helps us understand the relationship between different variables in a problem. It allows us to find the specific value of m that satisfies all of the given equations and constraints. This can help us make predictions, solve real-world problems, and gain a deeper understanding of the problem at hand.

5. What happens if m=1 instead of 2?

If m=1 instead of 2, it means that the solution to the problem is different. This could lead to a different outcome or conclusion. In some cases, m=1 may not be a valid solution, and the problem may have no solution at all. It is important to carefully consider the given equations and constraints to determine the correct value of m for a given problem.