What is the Smallest Particle in the Universe Made Of?

• Thread starter Deepak Kapur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, there is ongoing speculation about what the smallest particle in the universe could be, with some suggesting electrons and quarks as potential candidates. However, it is difficult to imagine these particles due to their small size and wave-like properties. It is also theorized that there may be an end to this search, as the Plank length may be the smallest possible size according to the uncertainty principle. The origin of these particles can be explained using complex mathematical and scientific concepts, but there is still much to learn and discover about the smallest building blocks of our universe.
Deepak Kapur
Any guesses about the smallest particle in this universe that would be discovered in the time to come.

What would it be made of in turn?

Can there be an end to this?

If there is an end, how can the origin of the particle, which is composed of no other entity (be it matter, wave, etc.) be explained?

Physics news on Phys.org
Deepak Kapur said:
Any guesses about the smallest particle in this universe that would be discovered in the time to come.

What would it be made of in turn?

Can there be an end to this?

If there is an end, how can the origin of the particle, which is composed of no other entity (be it matter, wave, etc.) be explained?

Well, electrons and quarks are point particles. They don't really exist as in 'have a set size', the do however need to be kept within the Plank length. That's so unimaginably small though and I don't even think we have any devices which can see that small. I may of course be mistaken.
I'm not even sure if physicist can imagine a quark. Imagining a electron would be difficult for the average person. You can try to think of a electron, while acting as a particle, just assume it's the size of a proton but it's close to 2000x lighter. However it has wave-like properties so it's quite difficult.

I do think that there is an end to this in theory. Can't get any smaller than a Plank length by uncertainty principal, and we're already there. How can they be explained? With very complicated maths and scientific concepts.

I'm no physicist mind you so if any of the scientists on here want to slap me on my head for what I wrote go right ahead :tongue:

If string theory is ever confirmed, I'd say the smallest will be a point !

What is the smallest particle ever?

The smallest particle ever is currently believed to be the quark, which is a fundamental building block of matter that makes up protons and neutrons.

How small is the smallest particle?

The size of a quark is estimated to be around 10^-18 meters, making it incredibly tiny.

How was the smallest particle discovered?

The existence of quarks was first theorized in the 1960s by physicists Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig, and their existence was confirmed through experiments in the 1970s.

What is the significance of the smallest particle?

The discovery of the quark has greatly contributed to our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and has advanced the field of particle physics.

Can the smallest particle be divided into smaller parts?

At this point, it is believed that quarks are indivisible and cannot be divided into smaller parts. However, further research and experiments may lead to new discoveries in the future.