Are You Above Laboring?

• Thread starter Mr. Robin Parsons
  • Start date
In summary: The Smart Labourer believes that they are too smart for laboring and that they should not have to do any hard labor. They feel that they should be able to do anything that is above labor because they are smarter than those who do labor. They also feel that the politicians are Responsible for not passing laws that would give them the authority to do more than what they are doing now. They feel that they are not worth the effort to answer any questions because they do not have anything good to say.
Mr. Robin Parsons
"The Smart Labourer"(?)

Originally posted by entropy
Are you too smart for laboring?
Good morning fellow posters.

A certain agitator, for privacy sake, let's call him Robin P... No that's too obvious... uhh... Let's say R. Parsons, has stated that he believes himself to be above certain types of work. Also, I've noticed that many of you posted that you take full course loads during the summer months which leads me to believe that you are too busy for a summer job.

Out of curiousity, how many of you consider yourself to be above certain types of work? Do you feel that you are too smart for laboring? Do you believe that Ganesha the elephant god put you in a caste that is above laboring?

Please explain... and be honest. I promise I won't openly judge you.

eNtRopY
Last edited by eNtRopY on 08-18-2003 at 02:07 PM

So, I would to see, for myself, (entropy...link the quote!) exactly where it is that I stated that I was "Above labouring"

What I am, at present, is unwilling to participate in the political 'peception game' that will attempt to classify me by my "Job Title" when I have clearly demonstrated that I have exceeded anything that I can currently place upon a resume, without the ability to have it backed up by the Authority, (The Legislative Parliament of Canada) that is defiance of their legal responcibility, for not having done so, by now.

They have been under said responcibility since the court's ruling of Jan. 26 2001 and the soonest that is reasonably possible, the event of Sept 11, changes nothing, in that context.

PS, entropy, your just not worth the effort!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the instance of this I remember a story that went through the papers a fair time back of a Pro Football Player who had been out cutting his hedges when he slipped (or something) and ended up cutting one of his fingers. (or hand?)

Needless to say, he was ‘out of the Game’. Which brought upon a measure of ‘Sports fan(s)’ conversations concerning whether, or not, this guy should have been out there “trimming his own hedges” (AKA Labouring!) as he knew of the importance of the ‘Upcoming Game’, and the need to ensure his own personal level of safety awareness as to risking himself in something, other then his career.

This brings into question simply how much risk is reasonable? One of my previous employs was stacking Shingle Bundles on Plywood Roofing on New Construction(s). (Doing this, in the Winter, in Canada, is interesting indeed…rime Ice, WHEEEEeeeee Hoooooooo!)

If what I say has any truth to it, and I have, by the Grace of God, been able to advance the knowledge of Humanity, (further to goooooooo!) in these times of a Great Amount of Current Knowledge, How much risk is acceptable for me, (wanting to “act and behave” in a responsible manner) to Take?

For myself, I will say this. I've personally worked manual labor jobs, fast food, telemarketing, you name the menial job, I've done it. Now however I've acquire a certain degree of proficiency in what I do. So were I to become unemployed, no I wouldn't head straight for the nearest macdonalds to apply. I'm not saying I wouldn't do manual labor, but I'd have to exhaust every other means of sustanance before I resorted to that. Mostly for the reasons that those types of jobs wouldn't pay nearly as much as my current chosen trade. However if an opportunity came up in manual labor, offering me an eqquivalent salary, and I had nothing else available, yes I'd take it.

two sayings I live by:

1. Work smarter not harder
2. There are those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder " what the he## just happened?" which one are you?

That sort of is a little bit of what I am trying to accomplish, as by getting accreditation for what I have done should (have) lead to opportunities for better employs...sorta, more so, the chance/opportunity for me to finish off, what I have started, in physics.

Just that it seems that greed has gotten in the way of "certain people", (Those obliged to respond to me) and hence, they have become/act completely irresponcible in an effort to thereby excersize control over the outcome/output of myself.

Sad, and disgusting, actually, really Anti-Democratic, both in principal, and in practise!

To be reallt bruatlly honest, I am to young and to drunk to give a damn. But I do know that i NEED qualifications to goet anywhere even though it would mean being amechanic for the most of my life, its still better than working at Mcdonals, No offense intended to anyone that works theer.

Originally posted by Andy
To be reallt bruatlly honest, I am to young and to drunk to give a damn. But I do know that i NEED qualifications to goet anywhere even though it would mean being amechanic for the most of my life, its still better than working at Mcdonals, No offense intended to anyone that works theer.
How ironic is that, the only accreditation that I have on paper is a Mechanics license.

Yea i figured that mechanics can't be that hard, i have always been interested in mechanics but would have preferred to carry on studying physics but it would appear that i am too stupid for that.

Originally posted by Andy
Yea i figured that mechanics can't be that hard, i have always been interested in mechanics but would have preferred to carry on studying physics but it would appear that i am too stupid for that.
THAT IS A LIE!

Mechanics, not hard??, try aligning wheels buddy. (MATH!)

Then again mechanics is physics, chemistry, engineering, electricity, metalurgy, aerodynamics, mathematics and LOTS more dependant upon where in the car/automotive industries you work.

Alrite there is a lot of hard stuff involved, but its not advanced physics is it, you don't need to know how everything works to that level of detail.

Agreed. I've known how to work on a car before I even knew physics was a word. If what you say is true parsons, then the term "Shadetree mechanic" would not exist.

But, also in your defense, with the knowledge I've acquired over the last few years, I've become more effiecent at working on cars.

I've done my share of manual labor, 3 years of it, and have had enough. Now that I know they pay people what I get paid to do what I do (push buttons basically) there is no way I'll ever strain another muscle making a paycheck, unless I have too.

Might get CT in my pointer finger.

But manual labor has advantages. Such as, Vinyl siding, what I used to do, there is much less drama, then in a place with a water cooler. Your job is simple, and although the scenery changes, its the same thing every day (that is, if you were good like us and could side a house in a day). Anyhow, I'll take the real life soap operas and button pushing in a somewhat controlled environment as opposed to siding houses in Hilton head, the arm pit of the east coast, IMO.

Originally posted by megashawn
Agreed. I've known how to work on a car before I even knew physics was a word. If what you say is true parsons, then the term "Shadetree mechanic" would not exist. AKA "Part Changer"
But, also in your defense, with the knowledge I've acquired over the last few years, I've become more effiecent at working on cars.
I've done my share of manual labor, 3 years of it, and have had enough. Now that I know they pay people what I get paid to do what I do (push buttons basically) there is no way I'll ever strain another muscle making a paycheck, unless I have too.
Might get CT in my pointer finger.
But manual labor has advantages. Such as, Vinyl siding, what I used to do, there is much less drama, then in a place with a water cooler. Your job is simple, and although the scenery changes, its the same thing every day (that is, if you were good like us and could side a house in a day). Anyhow, I'll take the real life soap operas and button pushing in a somewhat controlled environment as opposed to siding houses in Hilton head, the arm pit of the east coast, IMO.

Thats it?? three years??

Diagnostics in cars/engines is(was) the make or break point for many a mechanic, as some simply couldn't figure out what was wrong with the/a car, so that part isn't all that easy.

As for being a "Part Changer" it's not all that hard, save when you have an old rust bucket, or a car that is poorly designed with respect to repair, then the fun begins.

Bt we are missing the point of the risk assessment, how much risk is acceptable?

One of the things I have done in my life, higher risk, is tree felling. Been out on a limb ~75 ft up, crawling out past the rotting bowl,that was on the limb I was climbing on, to place a rope at the end of the branch (using a really long pole) so that when I cut off the limb, the two guys on the ground could pull the limb over so's to not strike the chimney, or rooftop, as it went down.
(one didn't listen to me, didn't "run" when I said to, just pulled, it struck the corner of the roof as it went crashing down)

Would it be acceptable risk for me to return to that kind of work, knowing what I know??
(assume me truthful, and assume me not, tell both!)

Thats it?? three years??

Well, 3 years of getting paid to do it. I've been doing hard, outdoor work since I could hold a hammer. How else you think I got all that dirt biking exp?

Well, you must also understand that when I was coming up, and before my time, computer diagnostics on a car was a very rare thing. The oldest car I've got with a computer on it is a 79 280zx. But it was also far ahead of its time.

And yes, when something computer related goes wrong, it does boggle the mind of the average wrench turner.

A simple carberated engine doesn't have/need a computer. Most all a computer does for a car is control things like fuel injection, timing, etc. When something like this burns out, which is easy to tell without any official training, it is 1)easier and 2) cheaper to replace the entire components with aftermarket performance parts. Not to mention the gains in effiecency.

I've seen the tree business you speak of, and must give you a hats off for that.

I suppose that if your truly did possesses some great knowledge you should probably try to protect it. Another idea, is to write it down, put it somewhere safe (safe deposit box) and have a will to give it to someone you deem worthy in the event something should happen to you.

Infact, just in the fact that God could be angry with you and cause an anuerism (spelling?), possibly causing you to lose your memory, you probably should look at someway in protecting/passing on this precious data.

Safest place I know to keep what I know is where I know it from, within me.

Don't really trust anyone else with it that way, worth waaaay to much when it goes beyond "principal and theory" into practical application.

One of the tests that I had, by God's Grace, already thought of, might have very practical application in Earthquake prediction. That, and Many-Many other possibilites.

Hey, piling shingle bundles on roofs, at 46 years of age, on roofs like 8/12's in the winter, on rime ice (used cleats) is still rather risky...even with a saftey harness.

What is "The Smart Labourer"?

"The Smart Labourer" is a term used to describe a hypothetical future worker who has a combination of advanced skills, knowledge, and technology to perform their job efficiently and effectively.

What are the key characteristics of "The Smart Labourer"?

The key characteristics of "The Smart Labourer" include advanced technical skills, adaptability, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work with and use technology.

How will "The Smart Labourer" affect the workforce?

"The Smart Labourer" is expected to have a significant impact on the workforce, as they will be able to perform tasks that were previously done by humans, leading to a decrease in the need for manual labor and an increase in demand for skilled workers.

What kind of technology will "The Smart Labourer" use?

"The Smart Labourer" will use a wide range of technology, including artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, and automation tools. They will also have access to advanced software and data analysis tools to help them perform their job effectively.

What are some potential benefits of having "The Smart Labourer" in the workforce?

Having "The Smart Labourer" in the workforce can lead to increased productivity, efficiency, and accuracy in tasks. It can also free up time for humans to focus on more complex and creative tasks, leading to potential advancements in various industries.