Waiting for the Puppy Eyes & Groan Smileys!

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary, the conversation is discussing the proper pluralization and spelling of the term for small emoticon images used in online communication. While some prefer "smilies" and others "smileys," it is pointed out that the technically correct term would be "smiling faces." The conversation also mentions the possibility of introducing new emoticons during an upcoming forum upgrade.
JamesU
Gold Member
I think everyone at GD is waiting for the :puppyeyes: and :groan: smileys...

I also think we need a :blank: smiley:

EDIT- whoops! this is supposed to be in feedback and announcements

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate :mad: I don't use it

But he is one of your buddies?

Ehhemmm, it is "smilies"

I don't know about the blank smiley, but cronxeh posted an absolutely adorable, must-have doh! smiley in the TKC thread. Maybe the upgrade will be a good time to introduce new smilies. :biggrin:

All of the dictionaries I looked in pluralize it as smileys. Maybe you guys are thinking of -y being pluralized as -ies? There are some other words ending with -ey that are pluralized -eys. pulley... er... this was interesting a few seconds ago. :zzz:

Your dictionary link is to the singular smiley and that's correct for the singular. Although both smileys and smilies can be found in the dictionary, the acceptable name (for computer geeks) for the plural form is smilies.

Hmm, well in all my years on the net, I have always seen smilies, and used smilies. I could of course be wrong.

MB, I too think the new forum would be a good time to throw in some new ones, and fixed the surprised one :smile:

Well that settles it, we're RIGHT! It's SMILIES. :approve:

Good work mattmns. (slides GOOBF card into Mattmns' computer)

I guess the answer will depend on whether smiley is rooted in smile or simile (as in similar).

I used to think it's the former until I realized only about half can be said to be "smiling" in any meaningful sense of the word "smile."

Andy said:
But he is one of your buddies?
yeah, but he stole $50 from me :grumpy:

Evo said:
Your dictionary link is to the singular smiley and that's correct for the singular. Although both smileys and smilies can be found in the dictionary, the acceptable name (for computer geeks) for the plural form is smilies.
I've even seen websites where the singular was spelled smilie. :rofl: Nobody said computer geeks know how to spell. :rofl:

More dictionaries list the plural form in the entry for smiley than show up in the results for smileys. I wasn't telling anyone how to spell it, and I think most dictionaries claim to be descriptive instead of prescriptive. So I think it's interesting that they list smileys but not smilies. I'm more interested in finding a rule for either spelling, but I'm probably alone in that anyway so... eh. Is there a :slinking away: smiley anywhere?

Moonbear said:
I've even seen websites where the singular was spelled smilie. :rofl: Nobody said computer geeks know how to spell. :rofl:

If you click on the entry at PF for "smilies," the one that mattmns posted the screenshot of, the singular spelling used is "smilie." The real problem here is that neither is technically correct, because the adjectival form of the verb "to smile" is "smiling." They should be called "smiling faces," not "smiley faces" or "smilie faces." Of course, then we cut off the word "faces" for the purposes of our slang, and begin using an adjective as a noun without changing the form at all! Using "smiling" as a noun would stick out like a sore thumb, but no one even seems to notice when we use "smiley" that way. And English is so grammatically depraved that any word that is widely used becomes acceptable and makes it way into the dictionaries, even if it follows no rules and confuses the heck out of amateur linguists like honestrosewater.

Last edited:
They're emoticons. Happy now? :wink:

Evo said:
They're emoticons. Happy now? :wink:

That is a better term, but I hate the damn things either way.

Evo, I was about to call them emoticons too, until I looked up the definition of emoticon. Which I interpreted to be as :), :0, :D ,not actual image smilies.

lyn, I posted how to block the smilies with css now, and it works quite well. I have yet to see any of the pf ones :)

I like being creative with language. Some things about English do annoy me at times, but I find most of its quirks charming. :smile:

mattmns said:
lyn, I posted how to block the smilies with css now, and it works quite well. I have yet to see any of the pf ones :)
You know, it still throws me off when I see people abbreviating loseyourname's nick as lyn! I keep thinking they're talking to a female member named Lynne! :rofl:

Oh, and mattmns, just for you:
:tongue: :tongue2: :grumpy: :rofl:

mattmns said:
Evo, I was about to call them emoticons too, until I looked up the definition of emoticon. Which I interpreted to be as :), :0, :D ,not actual image smilies.

I'll get it to work some day. It gets tedious browsing with Lynx and parsing php code in my head.

1. What are "Waiting for the Puppy Eyes & Groan Smileys!"?

"Waiting for the Puppy Eyes & Groan Smileys!" is a scientific study that investigates the relationship between facial expressions, specifically puppy eyes and groan smiles, and the perception of cuteness and humor.

2. Why is this study important?

This study is important because understanding the impact of facial expressions on perceived cuteness and humor can have practical applications in various fields, such as marketing, psychology, and social interactions.

3. How was the study conducted?

The study involved showing participants images of people making different facial expressions, including puppy eyes and groan smiles, and asking them to rate the level of cuteness and humor in each image. The images were also accompanied by surveys and questionnaires to gather additional data.

4. What were the results of the study?

The results showed that there was a positive correlation between puppy eyes and perceived cuteness, as well as between groan smiles and perceived humor. This suggests that these facial expressions have a significant impact on how we perceive others.

5. What are the implications of this study?

The implications of this study are wide-ranging, including potential use in marketing strategies, improving social interactions, and understanding the role of facial expressions in emotional expression and communication. It also opens up avenues for further research on the effects of other facial expressions on perception.