Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Snyders do Europe.

1. Jul 25, 2009 #1
    As I have said before, we will be landing on the beaches of France next month, an American obsession since at least 1944. Our residence will be at the gates of Disneyland but we won't be going there. I have Paris, Versailles, Fountainbleu, and Mont St. Michel on my list of places to see. My wife has less specific destinations: Belgium, Holland, and Luxembourg. I am asking for recommendations to fill out this itinerary. Thanks in advance for your generosity in this matter.

Edit: My wife informs me that the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam is on the itinerary.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You can visit Norway! :smile:

4. Jul 25, 2009 #3
    What would you like? culture, history, nature, entertainment, sun tan?

5. Jul 25, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Jimmy, go to Mainau - Germany's flower island. Andre's photos of the place are stunning.

6. Jul 25, 2009 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Visit Lyon, Provence, Annecy, the Loire valley, Toulouse, the Pyrenees, the Riviera, . . . . .

I like this place that Andre mentioned - http://web.mac.com/stoterr/Site_4/Welcome.html [Broken]

Rent a fast car! or take the TGV. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jul 25, 2009 #6
    You may meet Sesinka over there.

But don't underestimate the traffic (jams) in Europe. Paris alone has more than a holiday to offer for sight seeing. But be sure to take the Metro, specially recommendent, the Louvre, it would take a week to see all the treasures over there. But don't take the main gate (the Pyramid) there are sneaky and fast ways to get in.

Also nice, the graveyard "Pere Lachaise"

8. Jul 25, 2009 #7
    Culture and history for me. I can get the other stuff at home. My wife wants nature in the mix.

We are paid up for two weeks at Disneyland, so other than a 4 day sweep of Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg, that's our base. That means Mainau is too far away. Same goes for Lyon, Provence, Annecy, Toulouse (how loose are the women in Toulouse?), the Pyrenees, the Riviera, and Norway.

Loire Valley looks good though. Perhaps we'll go to some castles there. I spent three days in Paris 40 years ago without ever going to the Louvre. I think it's something in the water.

My wife will not set foot in a cemetery.

Thanks for these ideas, please keep them coming.

9. Jul 25, 2009 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How about Normandy, then?

Lots of Norwegian memorials there, for example in Rouen! :smile:

10. Jul 25, 2009 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can get from Paris to London in a couple of hours nowadays. Just a thought...

11. Jul 25, 2009 #10

Astronuc

On the way home. :biggrin:

I was in Paris for a week several years (~12) ago. The hotel was across the street/highway from the Lovre. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to visit inside the Louvre.

12. Jul 25, 2009 #11
    The Louvre is absolutely mandatory for culture and history seekers, much more important than Versailles

13. Jul 25, 2009 #12
    We intend to go to Mont St. Michel which I'm told is only a mile from Normandy. That's as close as we're getting to Norway ok? Get over it.

The original plan was for a week in London and a week in Paris. However, we could not find suitable lodgings there (we trade timeshare weeks) so we took the two weeks in Paris. It is possible, but not likely, that we will go there on a day trip via the Chunnel. The problem is the value to expense ratio. We'll make that decision once we have a better idea of the local attractions.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  14. Jul 25, 2009 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Maybe the City of Caen would be of interest?

One of the largest European medieval fortresses lie there, built by William the Conqueror in 1060 or thereabouts.

In addition, Parc FestyLand is a family theme park in the area (sort of 1066 and all-that theme), that might be of interest?

15. Jul 25, 2009 #14
    Could be. We intend the trip to Mont St. Michel to be a day trip, but it is a bit far. If we can't get back to Paris comfortably, perhaps we'll stay in Caen.

16. Jul 25, 2009 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Normandy coast is good, along with Caen, Rouen, Bayeux.
    Chartres is only an hours drive from Paris.

Under no circumstances attempt to drive in Paris, take the metro.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  17. Jul 25, 2009 #16
    Enroute to or from Mt st Michel, it may be an idea to see the invasion beaches, in that case put also on the list the little village Honfleur on the south bank of the Seine, south of "Le Havre". A very cosy little mediteranian like artist village. Close to that are the Louis Quinze type of Villages Deauville and Trouville sur mer.

18. Jul 25, 2009 #17
    Oh and when looking for hotels to stay overnight, better skip the "Hotel de ville". It doesn't have guest rooms, it's the town hall.

19. Jul 25, 2009 #18
    The round-robin Paris - Honfleur - Mont St Michel, may be extended by visiting Fougères, slightly to the south of Michel. It has a typical fairy tale castle

20. Jul 25, 2009 #19

Astronuc

Yeah - it was painful being there and not having the time to enjoy it.

I did meet a very nice girl there. We were standing on a bridge over the Seine, and she asked me in French which way to sea. Unfortunately, she didn't speak English and I didn't speak French, but my colleague did so he translated. That kind of situation has happened often with me.

21. Jul 25, 2009 #20

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook