Is 'The Social Network' a Reflection of Our Narcissistic Society?

• Thread starter elfboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, the conversation discusses the movie "The Social Network" and how it highlights issues with our society and technology. Some argue that the movie is not relevant to the economy, while others point out that it still provides jobs and tax revenue. Overall, the conversation touches on the impact of technology and the quality of movies in today's society.
elfboy
Despite my reluctance my friend insisted i watch and as as expected i left the theater feeling a slightly less whole person. This movie is not only represents what's wrong with our own narcissistic society but reminded me how dull my own life life was. It's fun watching movies about rich people when they lose everything, get shot with poison arrows (avatar) or drown (Titanic) but that's certainly not the case here. anyway, score one for the richers..stock market making new highs, no job creation, unemployment at 9%, students burdened with huge debt, state governments slashing budgets despite unchanged tax revenue, huge deficits to pay for things that don't benefit anyone..we still got our facebook though.

so while the production was good i hated this movie

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well in fairness, Facebook created jobs. So I don't know what your beef is with that.

Yup, if Facebook didn't exist, everyone would be happy and cancer would be cured.

I can see the demotivational poster now:

"Facebook, holding the world back since 2004!"

jarednjames said:
Well in fairness, Facebook created jobs. So I don't know what your beef is with that.

very few, and very selective jobs relative to the millions lost in the recession
technology is about losing jobs for profits, not making them

So a company, completely unrelated to the recession, that created jobs during a recession (regardless of how few) is a bad thing?

And just so you're aware, the technology is what made Facebook possible, creating the jobs. So both your arguments above are pretty irrelevant.

elfboy said:
very few, and very selective jobs relative to the millions lost in the recession
technology is about losing jobs for profits, not making them

What? Are you seriously trying to make this argument or is this meant to be an ironic statement?

jarednjames said:
So a company, completely unrelated to the recession, that created jobs during a recession (regardless of how few) is a bad thing?

And just so you're aware, the technology is what made Facebook possible, creating the jobs. So both your arguments above are pretty irrelevant.

many technology jobs come at the expense of less skilled jobs. This 'social network' despite its huge valuation employs relatively few people compared to an assembly line. The later type jobs have been leaving the country and technology isn't doing a good job filling the void.

The US labor poor has actually shrunk in the past decade.

But what does that have to do with Facebook? Why does the value of Facebook give you a problem? Surely an nice high value company like that generates a lot of tax revenue for the government?

Would you prefer to not have Facebook and have all the current unemployed plus the Facebook staff unemployed plus a lack of tax income from them? That's rock solid logic right there.

And we're not even on to your technology issue yet.

What is the argument? Is the social network a bad movie because it wasn't about something that created more job?

It was a movie about the drama behind the creation of a social engine that practically everyone uses. I think it was a good movie.

Who cares how it relates to the economy?

Push for the making of a movie about Henry Ford and the assembly line.

Pattonias said:
What is the argument? Is the social network a bad movie because it wasn't about something that created more job?

But that's just it, even the film provided tax income and jobs for people.
Who cares how it relates to the economy?

Aside from the above, it doesn't link to the economy in anyway. The OP is just using it as a jumping off point to attack technology - as he sits posting on PF.

elfboy said:
...This movie is not only represents what's wrong with our own narcissistic society but reminded me how dull my own life life was...
I agree...

Almost all movies made now are complete trash... Nothing much good to watch anymore [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude111 said:
I agree...

Almost all movies made now are complete trash... Nothing much good to watch anymore [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon9.gif[/QUOTE]

Aside from the being completely subjective, I don't see what this has to do with Facebook.

What exactly were you expecting from a film about the making of Facebook? An introduction to MySpace and how it began or perhaps a nice piece on charity in South Africa?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is there any research that supports the idea that 'The Social Network' reflects our narcissistic society?

Yes, there have been several studies that have looked at the relationship between social media use and narcissism. One study published in the Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology found that college students who spent more time on Facebook had higher levels of narcissism. Another study published in Computers in Human Behavior found a positive correlation between the number of selfies posted on Instagram and narcissism.

2. How does the film depict narcissism in our society?

'The Social Network' portrays narcissism in several ways, such as the obsession with popularity and status, the desire for constant validation and attention, and the lack of empathy towards others. The main character, Mark Zuckerberg, is shown to be highly self-absorbed and focused on his own success and image, often at the expense of his relationships and others.

3. Do you think 'The Social Network' accurately reflects our society's obsession with social media?

While the film may exaggerate certain aspects for dramatic effect, it does highlight the pervasive influence of social media in our lives and how it can contribute to narcissistic tendencies. The constant need for validation and the pressure to present a perfect image on social media can contribute to a self-absorbed and narcissistic culture.

4. Are there any potential negative consequences of our society's narcissism portrayed in the film?

Yes, research has shown that excessive social media use and narcissism can lead to negative outcomes such as decreased self-esteem, increased anxiety and depression, and strained relationships. In the film, we see how Mark's narcissism ultimately leads to the breakdown of his friendships and relationships.

5. Is there any way to combat the narcissism portrayed in 'The Social Network' in our society?

Yes, it's important for individuals to be aware of how social media can contribute to narcissistic tendencies and make a conscious effort to limit their use and focus on more meaningful connections. Additionally, promoting self-reflection and empathy in our education and social systems can help combat the negative effects of narcissism in our society.

Back