The Social Network

• Thread starter elfboy
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Despite my reluctance my friend insisted i watch and as as expected i left the theater feeling a slightly less whole person. This movie is not only represents what's wrong with our own narcissistic society but reminded me how dull my own life life was. It's fun watching movies about rich people when they lose everything, get shot with poison arrows (avatar) or drown (Titanic) but that's certainly not the case here. anyway, score one for the richers..stock market making new highs, no job creation, unemployment at 9%, students burdened with huge debt, state governments slashing budgets despite unchanged tax revenue, huge deficits to pay for things that don't benefit anyone..we still got our facebook though.

so while the production was good i hated this movie

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Well in fairness, Facebook created jobs. So I don't know what your beef is with that.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Yup, if Facebook didn't exist, everyone would be happy and cancer would be cured.

I can see the demotivational poster now:

"Facebook, holding the world back since 2004!"

Well in fairness, Facebook created jobs. So I don't know what your beef is with that.
very few, and very selective jobs relative to the millions lost in the recession
technology is about losing jobs for profits, not making them

So a company, completely unrelated to the recession, that created jobs during a recession (regardless of how few) is a bad thing?

And just so you're aware, the technology is what made Facebook possible, creating the jobs. So both your arguments above are pretty irrelevant.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
very few, and very selective jobs relative to the millions lost in the recession
technology is about losing jobs for profits, not making them
What? Are you seriously trying to make this argument or is this meant to be an ironic statement?

So a company, completely unrelated to the recession, that created jobs during a recession (regardless of how few) is a bad thing?

And just so you're aware, the technology is what made Facebook possible, creating the jobs. So both your arguments above are pretty irrelevant.
many technology jobs come at the expense of less skilled jobs. This 'social network' despite its huge valuation employs relatively few people compared to an assembly line. The later type jobs have been leaving the country and technology isn't doing a good job filling the void.

The US labor poor has actually shrunk in the past decade.

But what does that have to do with Facebook? Why does the value of Facebook give you a problem? Surely an nice high value company like that generates a lot of tax revenue for the government?

Would you prefer to not have Facebook and have all the current unemployed plus the Facebook staff unemployed plus a lack of tax income from them? That's rock solid logic right there.

And we're not even on to your technology issue yet.

What is the argument? Is the social network a bad movie because it wasn't about something that created more job?

It was a movie about the drama behind the creation of a social engine that practically everyone uses. I think it was a good movie.

Who cares how it relates to the economy?

Push for the making of a movie about Henry Ford and the assembly line.

What is the argument? Is the social network a bad movie because it wasn't about something that created more job?
But that's just it, even the film provided tax income and jobs for people.
Who cares how it relates to the economy?
Aside from the above, it doesn't link to the economy in anyway. The OP is just using it as a jumping off point to attack technology - as he sits posting on PF.

elfboy said:
....This movie is not only represents what's wrong with our own narcissistic society but reminded me how dull my own life life was....
I agree......

Almost all movies made now are complete trash... Nothing much good to watch anymore [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon9.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree......

Almost all movies made now are complete trash... Nothing much good to watch anymore [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon9.gif[/QUOTE] [Broken]

Aside from the being completely subjective, I don't see what this has to do with Facebook.

What exactly were you expecting from a film about the making of Facebook? An introduction to MySpace and how it began or perhaps a nice piece on charity in South Africa?

Last edited by a moderator: