Why Does the Sokolov-Ternov Effect Favor Higher Energy Spin States?

• Thread starter chopper13
  • Start date
In summary, the Sokolov-Ternov effect involves the configuration of an electron's spin, where the "spin down" state has a higher energy but a higher probability for transition. This may seem counterintuitive, especially considering the energy difference. However, further research and discussion suggest that the direction of polarization and energy difference may not have a direct causal relationship.
chopper13
Hi there, I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me on a question I have regarding the Sokolov-Ternov effect.

1. I understand that an electron can be configured "spin up" or "spin down" and that the down state has a higher energy. However, apparently the probability for transition to the down state is greater than to the up state? Shouldn't it be the other way around with the energy difference as it is?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently it's a rather subtle effect. Have you looked at this paper? The Wikipedia article is pretty short, and I know it says the higher energy state is preferentially populated, but Buon seems to say the opposite. Round about Eq (47) he says,

"...the direction of polarization corresponds to a minimum of the magnetic energy (3). However it has been shown that it is more of a coincidence than a direct cause." [He means (2) instead of (3)].

What is the Sokolov-Ternov effect?

The Sokolov-Ternov effect, also known as the spin-flip effect, is a phenomenon in which the spin orientation of a charged particle changes due to its interaction with a magnetic field.

Who discovered the Sokolov-Ternov effect?

The Sokolov-Ternov effect was first observed and named by physicists Valery Aleksandrovich Sokolov and Igor Yevgenyevich Ternov in 1968.

What types of particles exhibit the Sokolov-Ternov effect?

The Sokolov-Ternov effect can occur in any charged particle with a non-zero spin, such as electrons, protons, and nuclei.

What are the applications of the Sokolov-Ternov effect?

The Sokolov-Ternov effect has applications in particle accelerators, where it is used to control the polarization of particle beams. It is also used in precision measurements of fundamental constants, such as the magnetic moment of the electron.

How does the Sokolov-Ternov effect differ from other spin-related effects?

The Sokolov-Ternov effect is distinct from other spin-related effects such as spin precession and spin resonance. Unlike these effects, the Sokolov-Ternov effect does not require an external electromagnetic field to induce spin flip, and it is independent of the particle's energy and velocity.