The sound frequency of two metals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential correlation between the frequency of sound and the elasticity of different horseshoe materials. There is also a mention of using a high speed camera to observe the horseshoe's movement when striking a stake. The question of whether a horseshoe can be designed to bounce off the hooks is also raised.
Photon713
Have any studies been done on the elastic properties of two unlike metals? I have noted a difference in the sound frequency of different horseshoes. Specifically, what is the effect of a horseshoe of one frequency striking a stake of another? I also assume that the speed of the strike is important, as well as the location struck. Are there any simple formula that provide answers? I am assuming that there is a direct correlation between frequency and vibration. Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
The frequency of the sound an object makes is a function of the elasticity of the object, it's geometry, and its mass. Two of those three are, of course, material properties. For a guitar string, the calculation is easy becaue it is essentially one-dimensional. For more complex objects, it can get quite difficult to calculate the frequency of vibration.

Thank You, Russ...
I am trying to determine if a cast or forged horseshoe is more lively and thus, prone to bouncing off of a stake. Later this year I will be using a high speed camera to see where the horseshoe hits the stake and when it bounces back. Finally, can a shoe be designed to bounce the shoe to the hooks? Thank you for your response.

1. What is the definition of sound frequency?

Sound frequency refers to the number of sound waves passing through a specific point in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz), and the higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound.

2. How does the sound frequency of two metals differ?

The sound frequency of two metals can differ based on their physical properties, such as density, elasticity, and shape. For example, a metal with a higher density and lower elasticity will produce a lower sound frequency compared to a metal with lower density and higher elasticity.

3. What factors affect the sound frequency of metals?

The sound frequency of metals can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the type of metal. Additionally, the dimensions and shape of the metal can also impact its sound frequency.

4. How is the sound frequency of metals measured?

The sound frequency of metals can be measured using a device called a frequency meter or a spectrum analyzer. These devices use sensors to detect the sound waves emitted by the metal and display the frequency in Hertz.

5. Can the sound frequency of metals be changed?

Yes, the sound frequency of metals can be changed by altering their physical properties, such as temperature, pressure, and shape. For example, heating a metal can increase its sound frequency, while applying pressure can decrease it.