The Science Behind Light: Electrons, Antennas, and EM Radiation Explained

In summary, the source of all light/EM radiation can come from two different phenomena: an electron being energized to a higher orbit and then falling back, or electrons in an antenna being vibrated back and forth, creating waves of electric and magnetic fields. The former results in precise color or frequency of light, while the latter produces a continuum spectrum. Most instances of EM radiation in our daily lives are a result of the latter, while the former is seen more rarely in things like lasers and neon lights.
Vosh
I read that the source of all light/EM radiation is an electron being energized to a higher orbit, then falling back and shedding a photon. But, I also read that an antenna transmits radio by dint of the e's in the antenna being vibrated back and forth so that the electric field lines emanating from them wiggle, like shaking a rope at one end and making waves travel down the rope, and these waves, with the help of their magnetic fields, propagate through space. Is that also an instance of e's rising and then falling? Many thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Vosh said:
I read that the source of all light/EM radiation is an electron being energized to a higher orbit, then falling back and shedding a photon. But, I also read that an antenna transmits radio by dint of the e's in the antenna being vibrated back and forth so that the electric field lines emanating from them wiggle, like shaking a rope at one end and making waves travel down the rope, and these waves, with the help of their magnetic fields, propagate through space. Is that also an instance of e's rising and then falling? Many thanks.
It's a pretty primitive description but at least metaphorically accurate (the electrons don't actually rise and fall). The two descriptions (excitation/emission and electromagnetic waves) are two ways of looking at the same phenomenon.

No, these two kinds of light emission are very different.

Almost all the light that we normally encounter comes from "e's in the antenna being vibrated back and forth so that the electric field lines emanating from them wiggle."

The other kind of light emission, due to rising and falling electron energy levels, is seen more rarely. Examples are lasers, neon lights, and in nature we see these emissions from stars and galaxies. The main thing about these kinds of emissions is that the color or frequency of the light is very precise, corresponding to the size of the fall in the energy level of the electron.

Crosson said:

Almost all the light that we normally encounter comes from "e's in the antenna being vibrated back and forth so that the electric field lines emanating from them wiggle."

The other kind of light emission, due to rising and falling electron energy levels, is seen more rarely. Examples are lasers, neon lights, and in nature we see these emissions from stars and galaxies. The main thing about these kinds of emissions is that the color or frequency of the light is very precise, corresponding to the size of the fall in the energy level of the electron.

Well, this tips my Universe upside down. Firstly, I don't have formal training under my belt. I'm, shall we say, PBS Nova educated. That said, I'm not sure what you mean; do you mean that most of the EM radiation we encounter - as in radio waves impacting us, etc.? And the visible light is caused by the e's falling back to a lower orbit? Many thanks for your patience.

You could say that all light is due to redistributions of electric charges.

Crosson said:

Question: Is the former what is referred to as "thermal emission", resulting in a continuum spectrum?

The latter of course, the emission due to atomic transitions, results in line spectra.

Question: Is the former what is referred to as "thermal emission", resulting in a continuum spectrum?

The latter of course, the emission due to atomic transitions, results in line spectra.

Yes, exactly.

Vosh said:
Well, this tips my Universe upside down. Firstly, I don't have formal training under my belt. I'm, shall we say, PBS Nova educated. That said, I'm not sure what you mean; do you mean that most of the EM radiation we encounter - as in radio waves impacting us, etc.? And the visible light is caused by the e's falling back to a lower orbit? Many thanks for your patience.

No, I mean that most instances of EM radiation, including visible and radio parts of the spectrum, are the result of thermal emission, and they don't have anything to do with electrons falling into a lower orbit.

When electrons change their energy level in an atom they produce a discrete spectrum as see here:

http://www.physics.uc.edu/~sitko/Co...omicPhysics/AtomicPhysics_files/image006.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "The Source of All Light"?

"The Source of All Light" is a scientific concept that refers to the origin of all light in the universe. It is the fundamental force that creates and sustains all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and X-rays.

What is the scientific explanation for "The Source of All Light"?

The scientific explanation for "The Source of All Light" is the phenomenon of electromagnetic radiation, which is caused by the movement of charged particles. As these charged particles, such as electrons, move, they create waves of energy that travel through space at the speed of light, resulting in the creation of light.

Is "The Source of All Light" a physical object?

No, "The Source of All Light" is not a physical object. It is a scientific concept that describes the fundamental force behind the creation of light in the universe. It cannot be seen or touched, but its effects can be observed and measured through scientific instruments.

How does "The Source of All Light" affect our daily lives?

"The Source of All Light" affects our daily lives in numerous ways. It provides us with the ability to see and perceive our surroundings, powers technology such as electricity and communication devices, and plays a crucial role in the growth of plants and other living organisms through photosynthesis.

What are the different types of light that originate from "The Source of All Light"?

"The Source of All Light" produces a wide range of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of light has a different wavelength and energy level, which determines its properties and uses in various fields of science and technology.